California Community News, LLC (CCN), a wholly owned subsidiary of Los Angeles Times Communications, LLC, provides a range of printing, packaging and distribution services for the Los Angeles Times Media GroupLos Angeles Times Media Group (LATMG), additional Tribune Company businesses and other clients.
CCN inserted and distributed nearly 2.6 billion preprints into 308 million packages in 2012. The freestanding ads are printed for advertisers prior to insertion into The Times'' daily and Sunday editions, as well as the Total Market Coverage (TMC) program. CCN also prints more than 2.4 million copies of The Times'' weekly comics and Fin de Semana, the weekend edition of Hoy LosAngelesTimes Community News’' (TCN) daily/weekly editions including the Burbank Leader, Laguna Beach Coastline Pilot, Daily Pilot (Newport Beach & Costa Mesa), Glendale News-Press, Huntington Beach Independent and La Cañada Valley Sun.
In addition, CCN provides contracted list management, printing, insertion and transportation services for other business clients.
Preprint and Local Values Total Market Coverage (TMC) Program Overview
LATMG provides the largest and most comprehensive preprint and TMC programs in the U.S. Our distribution portfolio combines the home-delivered Los Angeles Times with a suite of targeted distribution programs to provide unduplicated coverage to 3.9 million homes and more than 82% penetration in our market.
Local Values and TribDirectTribDirect®® offer advertisers an integrated, customized approach – with preprinted inserts, direct mail and direct-to-door carrier options – for distribution of freestanding fliers and product samples to up to 5.1 million homes in Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties.
Targeted delivery channels include The Times, TCN, Fin de Semana, shared mail via the USPS, private carrier home delivery, and home delivery via our opt-in ‘'Los Angeles Times Select’' program.
* Available 7 days a week to Times home delivery subscribers and single copy buyers
* Preprints can be distributed at the ZIP code level every day, and at the sub ZIP code level every Friday
* Estimated distribution quantities:
Monday through Wednesday – 385,000
Thursday through Saturday – 533,000
Sunday – 805,000
Local Values TMC Program
* Reaches consumers weekly from Friday through Sunday
* Reaches more than 80% of non-subscribers in the Los Angeles market
* Circulars in Local Values can be targeted at the ZIP code or sub ZIP code level in most delivery channels
* Estimated distribution quantities:
Los Angeles Times Select – 281,000
Fin de Semana – 812,000
USPS shared mail – 490,000
Private carrier – 1,400,000
Times Community News – 57,000
Other Los Angeles Times Preprint Distribution Options
The Thursday Weekly Values program – 533,000 packages delivered to Times subscribers and single copy buyers.
The Sunday Comic I & Comic II program – 805,000 packages delivered to Times subscribers and single copy buyers.
Irwindale, CA facility
In 2002, CCN consolidated its daily, Sunday and Times Direct® insert processing operations into a new $70 million, 325,000-square-foot production center in Irwindale, CA. It is one of the largest, most technologically advanced insertion and distribution facilities in the country. CCN''s web-to-sheet press, installed in 2003, prints 34 million single-sheet, full-color inserts annually.
Equipment and Software
* 6 GMA SLS 2000s with 16 to 26 hoppers on each, 2 CombiStackers, and a Schur Palletizer
* 4 GMA SLS 3000s with 18-28 hoppers, 2 CombiStackers, and a Schur Palletizer
* 2 Urbanite 14 unit web presses
* 1 A68 Muller Martini 8 unit web-to-sheet press
* SAM - GMA insert production planning software system
* HK WMS - receiving warehouse management software system