Skip to content
The Morning Call High School Wrestling Rankings - January 19, 2010
1. Fr. Darian Cruz (Bethlehem Catholic) 22-3
2. Jr. Anthony Cabrera (Liberty) 21-5
3. Jr. Anthony Bilotta (Pius X) 22-5
4. Fr. Ian Evans (Parkland) 18-7
5. Soph. DeMarquis Holley (Dieruff) 11-2
Honorable mention: Fr. Evan Disora (Easton) 15-3, Fr. Ian Evans (Parkland) 18-7, fr. Seever Hoyak (Notre Dame-GP) 15-5, jr. Nick O'Donnell (Panther Valley) 17-5, fr. Matt Williams (Pen Argyl) 13-2.
Noteworthy: Cruz takes over the top spot following a 2-1 victory over Cabrera. O'Donnell won the Schuylkill League Tournament title last weekend.
1. Jr. Jamie Welsh (Pen Argyl) 14-4
2. Soph. Randy Cruz (Bethlehem Catholic) 21-5
3. Soph. Devon Lotito (Liberty) 11-4
4. Soph. Ernest Klingel (Pleasant Valley) 20-6
5. Fr. Robert Rizzolino (Easton) 15-3
Honorable mention: Soph. Joe Dalessandro (Pius X) 19-4, sr. Dylan Long (Northwestern) 23-3, fr. Wolfgang McStravick (Upper Perk) 17-3, sr. Greg Rinker (Northampton) 16-5, sr. Matt Valentin (Stroudsburg) 19-6.
Noteworthy: Some movement via several close bouts. Cruz edged Lotito before wrestling up in loss to Nazareth's Franco Ferraina. Klingel also topped Rinker, who dropped last week.
1. Sr. Brandon Davis (Parkland) 20-5
2. Jr. Franco Ferraina (Nazareth) 17-4
3. Soph. Mike Dahlstrom (Pleasant Valley) 19-7
4. Soph. Zane Heller (Northern Lehigh) 17-4
5. Fr. Tyler Seislove (Quakertown) 13-6
Honorable mention: Jr. Lucas Dise (Northern Lehigh) 14-7, jr. Mike Fleck (Easton) 8-7, jr. Josh Fritz (Emmaus) 16-7, soph. Dan Oberlander (Palmerton) 15-5, Sr. Sean Phuah (Pocono Mt. West) 18-8,
Noteworthy: Davis has won seven straight since an OT loss in the Escape The Rock championship bout. Dahlstrom has wins over Fleck and Northampton's Rinker.
1. Jr. Zach Horan (Nazareth) 21-1
2. Sr. Anthony Marino (Liberty) 21-5
3. Sr. Justin Mazza (Pius X) 23-2
4. Sr. Adam Phillippi (Saucon Valley) 17-3
5. Soph. Alex Yanovich (Pleasant Valley) 20-5
Honorable mention: Jr. Michael Crawn (Bangor) 14-3, soph. Richie Cruz (Becahi) 15-7, jr. Mike Fake (Parkland) 16-6, sr. Eddie Faust (Northwestern) 17-8, soph. Vinny Pellechia (Catasauqua) 17-4, jr. Scott Wolfinger (Quakertown) 15-6.
Noteworthy: Horan, Marino, Mazza and Phillippi all recently won their 100th career bouts.
1. Sr. Jordan Toledo (Pleasant Valley) 25-2
2. Soph. Mitch Minotti (Easton) 14-3
3. Fr. Mike Racciato (Pen Argyl) 18-2
4. Jr. Kolby Mashack (Tamaqua) 20-2
5. Soph. Jason Stephen (Northampton) 12-4.
Honorable mention: Jr. Georga Bastian (East Stroudsburg South) 20-3, jr. Eric Howey (Stroudsburg) 18-5, jr. Greg Noll (Nazareth) 16-7, sr. Mike Serrano (Catasauqua) 14-6, fr. Ryan Todora (Becahi) 12-4.
Noteworthy: Top spot is fluid, since Toledo and Minotti have split their season series, though Toledo gets it for now following most recent win. Mashack, who gave Blue Mountain's Tyler Rauenzahn a good bout, drops one class.
1. Jr. Joey Rizzolino (Easton) 15-3
2. Jr. Justin Heller (Parkland) 20-7
3. Sr. A.J. Chernaskey (Saucon Valley) 17-4
4. Jr. Ian Stout (Nazareth) 12-6
5. Sr. Mike Pokrinchak (Pleasant Valley) 18-7
Honorable mention: Jr. Lucciano Burriesci (Pen Argyl) 13-5, soph. Victor Embardino (Notre Dame-GP) 14-9, soph. Anthony Farole (Lehighton) 16-8, fr. Cody Gonzalez (Becahi) 12-6, sr. Nate Snyder (Whitehall) 13-6,
Noteworthy: Rizzolino added two more wins, while Heller had a close loss to W.C. Henderson's Quinn Caliendo at the Parkland Duals. Stout missed time with a concussion.
1. Sr. Mark Hartenstine (Easton) 17-0
2. Jr. John Lynch (Saucon Valley) 18-3
3. Jr. Rex Lutz (Pen Argyl) 14-4
4. Sr. Mike Kistler (Parkland) 15-7
5. Jr. Nikko Stevens (Northern Lehigh) 17-4
Honorable mention: Fr. Matthew Bonshak (Whitehall) 16-4, sr. Jacob Chamberlain (Pleasant Valley) 18-5, soph. Dylan Hofmann (Northern Lehigh) 15-5, jr. Rich Jasinski (Pennridge) 9-2, sr. Billy Paukovits (Northampton) 11-7.
Noteworthy: Lutz decisioned Stevens 8-2 in last week's marquee matchup. Kistler has won seven of his last eight bouts.
1. Sr. Tyler Torcivia (Nazareth) 19-5
2. Soph. Elliot Riddick (Easton) 18-5
3. Jr. Mike Ottinger (Parkland) 21-3
4. Sr. Phil Racciato (Pen Argyl) 15-1
5. Jr. Donald- Paul Miller (Pocono Mt. East) 17-0
Honorable mention: Sr. Dan Costenbader (Palmerton) 18-2, jr. Bobby Clymer (Northwestern) 17-3, sr. Jacob Giovannini (Pius X) 22-5, sr. Garrett Henning (Liberty) 16-7, sr. Tyler Lauchaire (Stroudsburg) 17-5, sr. Dillon Smith ( Jim Thorpe) 14-3.
Noteworthy: Splitting hairs among the top 3: Torcivia just beat Riddick, who beat Ottinger earlier in the year. But Ottinger lost that bout an hour after losing to Central Mountain's Andrew Alton, tops in the nation at this class. Plenty of sorting out to come.
1. Jr. Ryan Krecker (Nazareth) 21-2
2. Sr. Austin Sommer (Northampton) 19-4
3. Sr. Craemer Hedash (Northern Lehigh) 17-4
4. Jr. Kyle Dehaut (Becahi) 21-5
5. Sr. David Lucykanish (Lehighton) 22-4
Honorable mention: Sr. Greg Chrin (Notre Dame-GP) 18-5, soph. Billy Christensen (Wilson) 13-5, sr. Mike Englert (Palmerton) 16-4, sr. Seth Guth (Whitehall) 14-5, sr. Eric Koch (Quakertown) 12-6, fr. Ray O'Donnell (Saucon Valley) 14-3.
Noteworthy: Krecker rolled on with wins over Dehaut and Easton's Zack Bambary (at 160). Lucykanish has won 14 of last 15.
1. Sr. Wade Rivera (Parkland) 24-2
2. Sr. Josh Rodriguez (Whitehall) 10-2
3. Jr. John Lambert (Northampton) 17-7
4. Sr. Mike Brown (Liberty) 17-7
5. Jr. Chris Yocum (Stroudsburg) 18-4
Honorable mention: Jr. Cody Ambrose (Upper Perk) 16-5, jr. Zack Bambary (Easton) 11-5, sr. Dan Comunale (Pius X) 18-8, soph. Larry Giammarco (Becahi) 12-8, sr. Edwin Gonzalez (Quakertown) 13-5.
Noteworthy: Rivera has six first-period pins in his last seven bouts. Lambert had a key pin in Northampton's win over Pleasant Valley and pinned PM East's Ed Helm in OT.
1. Sr. Tate Klidonas (Emmaus) 22-3
2. Jr. Colin Hedash (Northern Lehigh) 19-1
3. Sr. Luke DeLuise (Pius X) 24-2
4. Jr. Ed Helm V (Pocono Mt. East) 16-2
5. Sr. Chris Pintado (Liberty) 17-4
Honorable mention: Soph. Jon Blank (Notre Dame-GP) 18-4, sr. Ben Bradley (Nazareth) 17-5. sr. Nick Edmonson (Saucon Valley) 15-3, soph. Dylan Evans (Pen Argyl) 12-6, soph. Luke Garner (Catasauqua) 15-4, sr. Brian McLaughlin (East Stroudsburg South) 17-4.
Noteworthy: Klidonas went 5-0 at the NHSCA Festival, beating a New Hampshire state champ in the process. Hedash has bonus-point victories in his last five bouts.
1. Jr. Garth Lakitsky (Tamaqua) 24-0
2. Sr. Matt Transue (Stroudsburg) 19-5
3. Jr. Ian Gimbar (Saucon Valley) 17-2
4. Jr. Tarik Haddad (Parkland) 21-6
5. Sr. Tyler Marx (Northampton) 10-3
Honorable mention: Jr. Cory Bruder (Parkland) 13-8, jr. Tyler Horn (Pen Argyl) 12-6, sr. Cameron Kroemelbein (Pleasant Valley) 17-9, soph. Troy Newhard (18-5), sr. Kevin Rehm (Whitehall) 13-5, sr. Robert Smothers (Souderton) 15-2.
Noteworthy: Lakitsky scored a T.F. over Gimbar at 215, then dropped to 189 to win second straight Schuylkill League title with three pins in a total of 3:41.
1. Sr. Tarey Carey (Whitehall) 17-0
2. Jr. Joe Stolfi (Souderton) 15-2
3. Sr. Fran Roscioli (Wilson) 16-3
4. Sr. Allen Marvin (Stroudsburg) 17-7
5. Fr. Aaron Bradley (Nazareth) 15-5.
Honorable mention: Sr. Robert Basile (Quakertown) 12-7, sr. Dan Martisofski (Liberty) 14-10, soph. Nick Sharga (Northampton) 11-6.
Noteworthy: Carey won a tough 4-3 duel against Abington Heights' Morgan Craig.
1. Sr. Tony Bourizk (Whitehall) 15-2
2. Sr. D.J. King (Nazareth) 16-5
3. Sr. Curtis Garner (Catasauqua) 13-1
4. Jr. Josh Gonzalez (Pocono Mt. West) 21-5
5. Sr. Gregg Walker (16-4)
Honorable mention: Jr. Michael Bryan (Pocono Mt. East) 15-4, jr. Sean Fortes (Freedom) 10-8, sr. Tom Lapping (East Stroudsburg South) 16-6, sr. Briar Stern (Lehighton) 15-7, sr. Justin Williams (Liberty) 12-10
Noteworthy: Bourizk fell 3-1 to Abington Heights' Evan Craig, the defending 3A champ and fourth-ranked heavyweight in the country.
The Morning Call wrestling rankings are compiled by Mark Wogenrich. The rankings are based on records obtained from the National Wrestling Coaches Association and National High School Coaches Association Web sites. Honorable-mention wrestlers are listed in alphabetical order. Please send comments, corrections and additions to firstname.lastname@example.org