Skip to content
The Morning Call High School Wrestling Rankings -- March 2, 2010
1. Jr. Anthony Cabrera (Liberty) 30-5.
2. Jr. Anthony Bilotta (Pius X) 31-5.
3. Fr. Dylan Steffenino (Upper Perk) 29-5.
4. Fr. Evan Disora ( Easton) 30-7.
5. Soph. DeMarquis Holley (Dieruff) 25-4.
Honorable mention: Fr. Sean Bianco ( Pleasant Valley) 19-11, fr. Ian Evans (Parkland) 29-14, fr. Paul Hetrick (Northampton) 19-16; soph. Jacob Hoats (Lehighton) 20-16, fr. Bryan Israel (Saucon Valley) 31-11, Jr. Nicholas O'Donnell (Panther Valley) 33-7, fr. Matt Williams ( Pen Argyl) 35-4.
Noteworthy: Cabrera, Bilotta and Steffenino all won their respective titles. Cabrera did so despite a lingering shoulder injury. Holley edged Hetrick, who had a nice tournament, in OT for third place in 3A. Steffenino has won 18 straight, claiming Section 2 and District One North gold medals.
1. Soph. Randy Cruz (Bethlehem Catholic) 32-5.
2. Sr. Mike Fake (Parkland) 31-7.
3. Jr. Jamie Welsh (Pen Argyl) 34-7.
4. Soph. Devon Lotito (Liberty) 21-5.
5. Sr. Dylan Long (Northwestern) 26-3.
Honorable mention: Fr. Ty Herzog (Northern Lehigh) 25-9, soph. Ernest Klingel (Pleasant Valley) 28-11, fr. Wolfgang McStravick (Upper Perk) 30-7, sr. Greg Rinker (Northampton) 27-9, fr. Michael Rodgers (Central Catholic) 23-10, sr. Matt Valentin (Stroudsburg) 27-10.
Noteworthy: Cruz was sharp in winning the 2A title, edging Welsh 3-0 in the final. Fake ran into Blue Mountain's Corey Keener, the state's No. 2 112-pounder who won the 3A final 5-1. Lotito decisioned Rinker for third in 3A.
1. Sr. Anthony Marino (Liberty) 26-7.
2. Jr. Franco Ferraina ( Nazareth) 26-6.
3. Soph. Zane Heller (Northern Lehigh) 28-4.
4. Sr. Brandon Davis (Parkland) 35-7.
5. Jr. Jaydon Rice (Bethlehem Catholic) 23-10.
Honorable mention: Sr. Lee Coleman ( Bangor) 23-9, soph. Mike Dahlstrom (Pleasant Valley) 25-9, jr. Josh Fritz ( Emmaus) 24-13, sr. Adam Phillippi (Saucon Valley) 34-8, fr. Tyler Seislove 19-11.
Noteworthy: Marino swapped lineup places with brother Brett and pinned Ferraina to win his second 3A title. Ferraina had an impressive win over Blue Mountain's Brandon Choate in the semis. Heller defeated Rice and Phillippi on his way to the 2A title.
1. Jr. Zach Horan (Nazareth) 32-1.
2. Sr. Tyrone Deschler (Saucon Valley) 28-10.
3. Jr. Scott Wolfinger (Quakertown) 27-7.
4. Sr. Justin Mazza (Pius X) 31-3.
5. Sr. Jordan Glykas (Northampton) 19-10.
Honorable mention: Soph. Richie Cruz (Bethlehem Catholic) 24-11, sr. Constantine Filipos (Central Catholic) 28-7, jr. Eric Howey (Stroudsburg) 28-7, fr. Mike Marano (Parkland) 18-15, soph. Vinny Pellechia ( Catasauqua) 23-9, Sr. Mike Pokrinchak (Pleasant Valley) 27-8, Jr. Mike Ramos (Allen) 19-9, jr. Dan Rodenberger (Upper Perk) 21-8.
Noteworthy: Horan had three pins and a decision in winning his third 3A title. Impressive 2A tournament for Deschler, who came from the No. 7 seed to win the 2A title, pinning the first and second seeds in the process. Wolfinger fell to Council Rock South's Matt Rappo (ranked fifth in the state) in the District One North final.
1. Soph. Mitchell Minotti (Easton) 35-3.
2. Sr. Jordan Toledo (Pleasant Valley) 34-3.
3. Fr. Mike Racciato (Pen Argyl) 39-3.
4. Jr. Greg Noll (Nazareth) 25-10.
5. Sr. A.J. Chernaskey (Saucon Valley) 32-9.
Honorable mention: Jr. George Bastian (E.S. South) 30-5, jr. Trey Daubert (Northampton) 14-15, soph. Victor Embardino (Notre Dame-Green Pond) 26-13, jr. Kolby Mashack (Tamaqua) 30-4, fr. Ryan Todora (Bethlehem Catholic) 24-8.
Noteworthy: Minotti topped returning state runner-up Tyler Rauenzahn of Blue Mountain in the semis, then defeated Toledo 3-2 in the 3A final. Racciato rolled through the 2A bracket, with two pins and two majors. Noll majored Rauenzahn for third in 3A.
1. Jr. Joey Rizzolino (Easton) 29-10.
2. Jr. John Lynch (Saucon Valley) 34-3.
3. Jr. Nikko Stevens (Northern Lehigh) 26-6.
4. Sr. Jacob Chamberlain (Pleasant Valley) 27-6.
5. Jr. Justin Heller (Parkland) 32-12.
Honorable mention: Jr. Luciano Burriesci (Pen Argyl) 28-13, soph. Anthony Farole (Lehighton) 23-13, sr. Matt Klacik (Freedom) 19-12, jr. Arian Kohler (East Stroudsburg South) 21-10, jr. Josh LaBar (Pius X) 25-14.
Noteworthy: Rizzolino motored through the 3A bracket, fighting through a 3-1 win over Blue Mountain's Clint Rarick in the semis. Lynch topped Stevens for the 2A title.
1. Sr. Mark Hartenstine (Easton) 37-1.
2. Sr. Tyler Torcivia (Nazareth) 30-6.
3. Jr. Rex Lutz (Pen Argyl) 32-9.
4. Soph. Dylan Hofmann (Northern Lehigh) 27-6.
5. Sr. Mike Kistler (Parkland) 28-10.
Honorable mention: Sr. Dan Costenbader (Palmerton) 23-7, sr. Jacob Giovannini (Pius X) 29-8, sr. Garret Henning (Liberty) 21-11, jr. Rich Jasinski (Pennridge) 20-7, sr. Mike McLaughlin (Wilson) 16-7, soph. Alex Yanovich (Pleasant Valley) 27-11,
Noteworthy: Hartenstine's first loss came to Blue Mountain's Josh Kindig, a returning state champ. The two likely will see each other Saturday in the regional final. Torcivia, who also lost to Kindig, beat Kistler for 3A third. Lutz was pinned by Pine Grove's Allen Daubert, who had a terrific 2A tournament: three pins and a major.
1. Jr. Mike Ottinger (Parkland) 34-5.
2. Jr. Ryan Krecker (Nazareth) 29-4.
3. Sr. Phil Racciato (Pen Argyl) 36-3.
4. Sr. Tyler Lauchaire (Stroudsburg) 27-7.
5. Soph. Elliot Riddick (Bethlehem Catholic) 26-8.
Honorable mention: Jr. Bobby Clymer (Northwestern) 26-6, jr. Briar Malischewski (Quakertown) 29-11, jr. Donald-Paul Miller (Pocono Mt. East) 28-3, jr. Anthony Minotti (Easton) 24-13, jr. Dylan Moore (Pennridge) 24-11, sr. Dillon Smith ( Jim Thorpe) 31-8, sr. Aaron Williams ( Whitehall) 24-14.
Noteworthy: Both district finals went to OT. In 3A, Ottinger reversed Krecker in the second rideout period for a 3-2 victory, his second in OT against Krecker this year. And in 2A, Racciato held off Riddick 2-1. Lauchaire was third in 3A.
1. Sr. Austin Sommer (Northampton) 33-4.
2. Jr. Kyle Dehaut (Bethlehem Catholic) 31-6.
3. Sr. Craemer Hedash (Northern Lehigh) 26-6.
4. Sr. Ahmed Burton (Allen) 16-6.
5. Sr. Eric Koch (Quakertown) 25-7.
Honorable mention: Sr. Greg Chrin (Notre Dame-Green Pond) 30-8, soph. Ethan Dilcherd (Nazareth) 14-15, soph. Dalton Fleming (Upper Perk) 20-15, sr. Mike Englert (Palmerton) 24-7, sr. Seth Guth (Whitehall) 29-9, sr. David Lucykanish (Lehighton) 33-5, sr. Andy Moore (Parkland) 21-16.
Noteworthy: Sommer had three first-period pins in dominating the 3A bracket. Dehaut was equally impressive, with a pin, a technical fall and a major on his way to the 2A title. Koch, the Section 2 winner, took third in District One North.
1. Sr. Wade Rivera (Parkland) 39-3.
2. Soph. Jon Blank (Notre Dame-GP) 31-5.
3. Sr. Mike Brown (Liberty) 24-9.
4. Jr. Zack Bambary (Easton) 24-15.
5. Soph. Michael Balliet (Lehighton) 20-10.
Honorable mention: Sr. Edwin Gonzalez (Quakertown) 23-8, jr. Mason McIntyre (Freedom) 9-5, sr. Brian McLaughlin (East Stroudsburg South) 26-7, sr. Josh Rodriguez (Whitehall) 17-7, jr. Kyle Sorensen (Northwestern) 15-6, soph. Michael Weaver (Panther Valley) 25-10.
Noteworthy: Rivera overcame a close call vs. Freedom's McIntyre to win the 3A title for his second district gold. Blank had a strong run to the 2A title, with two falls and two decisions. Balliet went 4-0 in the 2A consolations to place third.
1. Sr. Luke DeLuise (Pius X) 33-2.
1. Sr. Matt Transue (Stroudsburg) 28-6.
3. Sr. Tate Klidonas (Emmaus) 31-4.
4. Jr. Colin Hedash (Northern Lehigh) 29-2.
5. Jr. Ed Helm V (Pocono Mt. East) 28-4.
Honorable mention: Jr. Ben Bradley (Nazareth) 25-8, sr. Nick Edmonson (Saucon Valley) 33-6, sr. Tyler Marx (Northampton) 18-10, sr. John Mertz (Lehighton) 15-10, soph. Jose Rotger (Easton) 10-19, sr. Tyler Wolfe (Quakertown) 27-11.
Noteworthy: DeLuise won the 2A OW award by pinning his way to the title. He capped the run with a fall over Hedash in the final. Transue became Stroudsburg's first wrestler to win back-to-back 3A titles, avenging a previous loss to Klidonas in the process.
1. Jr. Ian Gimbar (Saucon Valley) 37-5.
2. Jr. Tarik Haddad (Parkland) 33-9.
3. Jr. Garth Lakitsky (Tamaqua) 33-2.
4. Sr. Chris Pintado (Liberty) 24-6.
5. Fr. Aaron Bradley (Nazareth) 24-8.
Honorable mention: Sr. Matt Dorward (Lehighton) 16-14, soph. Luke Garner (Catasauqua) 24-8, sr. Nick Hale (Upper Perk) 26-12. Jr. Tyler Horn (Pen Argyl) 26-12, soph. Troy Newhard (Emmaus) 25-10, sr. Kevin Rehm (Whitehall) 28-9, sr. Robert Smothers (Souderton) 29-5.
Noteworthy: Gimbar, who previously had been majored by Lakitsky, rebounded for a 3-2 win in the 2A final. Haddad edged Pintado for the 3A title with a reversal in overtime.
1. Sr. Taray Carey (Whitehall) 29-0.
2. Jr. Joe Stolfi (Souderton) 31-2.
3. Sr. Curtis Garner (Catasauqua) 23-1.
4. Jr. Jalal Paige (Easton) 26-14.
5. Sr. John Scheaffer (Panther Valley) 24-12.
Honorable mention: Soph. Kane Kralik (Palmerton) 20-10, jr. Tim Kunkel ( Northampton) 19-14, jr. Martin LaLuz ( Bethlehem Catholic) 22-11, sr. Allen Marvin (Stroudsburg) 28-9, soph. David Wilke (Nazareth) 10-12.
Noteworthy: Carey is the lone unbeaten wrestler in 3A. His regional bracket includes Selinsgrove's Spencer Myers (37-0), the state's top-ranked 215-pounder. Garner had a pair of falls in winning 2A, and Stolfi cruised to the District One North title. Wilke was a surprise, placing fourth after entering districts with a 7-10 record.
1. Sr. Tony Bourizk (Whitehall) 26-3.
2. Jr. Josh Gonzalez (Pocono Mt. West) 3-1.
3. Sr. Briar Stern (Lehighton) 23-9.
4. Sr. D.J. King (Nazareth) 25-7.
5. Sr. Kenny Zurbano (Saucon Valley) 24-12.
Honorable mention: Fr. Shaun Heist (Parkland) 19-16, sr. Tom Lapping (East Stroudsburg South) 21-12, soph. Kirby Mutton (Pen Argyl) 20-16, soph. Marcus Newsom (Northampton) 15-18, sr. Luke Texeria (Pius X) 23-14.
Noteworthy: Bourizk won his first district title by edging Gonzalez 3-1 in the 3A final. Stern gave Williams Valley's Ben Ancheff a good run before falling 2-0 in 2A. Zurbano won his last two bouts in OT.