The Orioles play their second straight day of split-squad games today, with the Birds going on the road to play the Braves at Champion Stadium at the ESPN Wide World of Sports in the afternoon before a nightcap tonight at home against the Yankees.
I'm here at the Braves game, where Orioles LHP Tsuyoshi Wada will make his Grapefruit League debut today. Orioles manager Buck Showalter said Wada will be limited to "30ish" pitches today.
Some other items of note:
- Orioles LF Nolan Reimold was scheduled to play in this afternoon's game because his wife was scheduled to deliver their baby in Jacksonville, which is closer than Sarasota. The delivery was successful and Showalter gave Reimold two extra days to be with his wife. He will back in the lineup Tuesday at home against the Phillies.
- Manny Machado makes his second straight start this afternoon. He started yesterday's split-squad game against the Red Sox in Fort Myers, where he walked twice.
- Steve Tolleson gets the start at third. He's played very well there in some substitute time at the hot corner.
- Jason Hammel starts today for the Orioles. He's allowed just one run in five spring innings and threw two shutout innings against the Braves on March 8.
- Alfredo Simon will start in tonight's night game in Sarasota. Showalter said he hopes to get five innings out of Simon. Right now, Simon remains in the starting rotation mix, Showalter said. But it's possible he gets dealt. I'm certain other teams have their eyes open because Simon has great stuff.
Here are this afternoon’s lineups:
Matt Antonelli 2B
Steve Tolleson 3B
Nick Johnson DH
Wilson Betemit 1B
Ronny Paulino C
Scott Beerer RF
Jai Miller CF
L.J. Hoes LF
Manny Machado SS
Jason Hammel RHP