Share your snow stories

How have the snowstorms affected you and your community? We want to hear from you -- stories about what you've done, seen and thought during the record snowfall, from the serious to the silly. Please e-mail your snow anecdotes -- short or long -- to, and include your city. Stories will be added to this page as we receive them.

During the record snowfall this month,the residents of the 3700 Monterey Road grew restless as we awaited our knight in a shiney Bobcat. Therefore we took matters into our own hands and not only shoveled our pathways and sidewalks, we took to the streets and cleared snow from our street TWICE. As a treat for all of our good work, we decided that a good ol' fashioned cookout was in order.

Keisha Ransome

I appreciate Baltimore County's effort to widen the intersection at York Road and Stevenson Lane this past Saturday. However, since the county dispatched heavy removal equipment, including a dump truck, was it really necessary for them to dump 6 feet of ice and snow in multiple places on our previously shoveled sidewalk?

Christine Grogan

These two back-to-back blizzards have really put a hold on many peoples' daily activities. My neighborhood was not plowed for two days straight; a select few people in my neighborhood called the county eight times just to get it plowed. My family and myself included were not able to make it to work for quite a few days. I was not even able to drive my car anywhere because it is terrible in the snow.

There is only so much being trapped in your house [you can take] until you start to get cabin fever. It was so nice to be able to see everyone out on the roads again and the restaurants re-opening when the streets were eventually plowed!

Harford County

We have not seen a plow or salt in either storm. My street is completely impassable except to four-wheel-drive vehicles. I have contacted the mayor, our city councilman and public works. No one has helped us or bothered to respond to our e-mails and phone calls. My neighbors and I are running out of groceries and medicine. I have lost a week of work (unpaid). I am completely frustrated and angry at the city's snow removal. There is just no excuse for this.


I was struck at work for three days -- Feb. 5-7 -- and I finally went home early on the morning of the 8th. I went back to work that night, but Tuesday morning when I got off, I decided not to chance it again and I called out for that evening. I had the rest of the week off and came back to work Saturday. While at home, I did nothing but eat and sleep and watch movies. I do have Blockbuster's online, you know, and I surfed the web. I went outside a few times just to see how things were and came right back in to do nothing (LOL). I talked on the phone a few times, only to hear about what I already knew, and that was how much snow was out there (boring). I found that my car was completely covered with snow and I was not about to dig it out so soon, but someone had a tow truck in the area and I paid them 50 or 60 bucks to pull it for me. So I dug nothing out -- lucky me. I love the snow -- it makes winter better -- but lets hope March will be more kind, shall we? I had a bit of cabin fever, but it passed very quickly when I left my trouble out of the door along with the snow. Oh, did I mention that I had to climb my way through the snow to get into my apartment? Terrible, it was. After being in the house for four days, the gym is calling now and I think I should answer.

Kelvin Collins

This snow made me realize how much I love my boyfriend. We were stuck inside our apartment for three straight days together. I got to see his true colors; bad and good. I mean I loved him before but now I know that we can make it through anything. Also, this snow made me realize how mean people are. People in my complex are fighting over parking spaces, which I understand why one would be mad after shoveling for hours just to realize that someone else is in your space. But threatening notes aren't going to solve the problem. So now people are putting chairs in their spots. Come on people, just grab a beer and enjoy your days off.

Brittney Dean

I've never seen so much snow in my life and I never hope to see this much ever again! My back hurts, my arms hurt, everything hurts! All from shoveling! I attend Towson University and I'm sure a record has been broken for its being closed nine full days in a row. This is absolutely ridiculous and it truly has been a "snowpocalypse" to say the least.

Jennifer Albers
Mass Communication-Advertising Major
Class of 2012
Owings Mills

Wow -- what a storm! That's what you're hearing all over the place, right? I lived in upstate NY for several years so snow is nothing new to me, but to see it here, to this degree, in Baltimore? Amazing!

The difference is that up in NY, we would hop on our snowmobiles and shoot across town to the grocery stores, etc. but this is an entirely different ballgame in an entirely different playing field.

The one thing I have noticed, outside of the beauty of all is that neighbors (at least in my community) seem to be pulling together to make the best of a very difficult situation. I live in Parkville on a dead-end street where snow plows don't even think to stop by. This makes it very difficult, and extremely exhausting when you're having to not only dig your car out, but a path down the entire street to avoid getting stuck in the snow drifts. We also have a lot of elderly citizens living on our block, so we really do have to band together and help them as well.

Being no stranger of snow, however, I did manage to get out of doors to capture some amazing shots, build a snowman and sip hot cocoa in between efforts. Baltimore's motto is "Believe" and I think that is what we all need to keep in mind when dealing with the unexpected. Where there's a shovel and good neighbors, there is most definitely a way!

Keep shoveling, Baltimore!

Michelle M. Martz, Parkville/Baltimore

Unintended science

We have 4 kids 4 and under, including twin 4-year-old boys. To combat the cabin fever this past Tuesday, we started a classic science experiment with colored water and carnations (we did celery the day prior). Later that evening, Mother Nature decided to terminate that experiment and start one of her own, when our ice-laden rainspout crashed through the garden window!

David and Stacy Taylor, Towson

As most have experienced, the roads here in the city are treacherous, my car is snowed in and our streets have not seen a plow so I figured I'd recap my adventures of walking to work in the morning from Locust Point, some 2.5 miles, for the past week. The city is doing the best they can to clear roads so I think it's only fitting that we take a step back and make light of our current situation. Think of it all as one big adventure. One we may never experience again in our lifetime.


I left base camp at 7:45 this morning to make a push for the Summit.

Leaving at this time is usually best given the weather seems to break for a brief hour window to make a summit bid. Timing and studying the weather patterns, via WJZ, is essential. I pack in some last minute carbs, some vitamins, a few swigs of H2O, throw my computer in my pack, feed the dog and begin the trek.

It wasn't long before I get to the end of my street where a raging river had formed, some 8 inches deep. Luckily, I had on my Gore-Tex boots, which are a necessity in this frigid climate that we live in so I go right through the river without even flinching. It's a good thing because one false move and my life could have been hanging in the balance. We all know what happens when you get caught in icy cold water…Hypothermia is bound to set in, in only minutes. But sometimes you have to take calculated risks if you're going to make it on a bid like this. After braving the rapids I begin the long trek down Fort Avenue.

The sidewalks are impassible so I hoof it through unsteady terrain to Lawrence St. Ice and snow had frozen on the roads making each step more dangerous than the last. Cars rush by spraying slush and salt as I struggle to maintain my footing. I begin traversing across Lawrence where I recognize my first obstacle. A huge snowdrift in the middle of the street.

I have two options ... Go right over it and risk falling in a deadly crevasse or walk around the east side were the sun had loosened the snow making it hard to pass without getting my dress pants wet. I choose the latter and make it unscathed.

Now onto Key Highway I go. The sidewalks are slightly cleared but had frozen over making the walk very dangerous. I likened it to the trek across the Khumbu icefall, found on the Nepali slopes of Mount Everest, where one false move could mean injury or even worse, death. Luckily, a fellow mountaineer had previously fixed ropes down Key Highway so I was able to clip in, easing my nerves and allowing me to enjoy a fresh Mountain Dew that a nice Sherpa had given me along the way.

After re-hydrating myself I begin the steep gradual ascent up Key Highway, gaining altitude with each step. I begin breathing deeply, obviously because of the lack of oxygen reaching my lungs as the elevation increases. I reach Cross Street and pause to admire the gorgeous views of the Ritz Carlton Condos that shot to the sky like they were reaching into the heavens.

But this is no time to enjoy this monstrosity so I continue on, climbing in elevation and reaching the "death zone" as the locals call it, where mere mortals like myself can only survive for a few days at most without bottled oxygen.

I pass Federal Hill, which was covered in believe it or not, snow. A police car drives by ripping his siren. I stand completely still with fear that the vibrations from the siren would trigger an avalanche, rushing down Federal Hill, burying me alive where I would rest for all eternity. So many have perished at this point of the climb but this day God was with me so I push on finally reaching what is famously known as the Harbor Steps.

A completely exposed section, these steps are very dangerous, covered in ice and snow and a full 10-foot drop on both sides. One must take one step at a time because one false move and it could all be over. Luckily I had fixed my crampons on my boots and had no issue reaching the Harbor promenade.

The walk around the harbor is slow and icy but my extremely honed mountain skills lead me to the final portion of the climb. I still could not see the summit but I knew that a four-block trek up Charles Street would be the most difficult part of this journey. I pass other climbers that were not as prepared, slipping off the route, struggling to catch their breath. But I keep moving.

Finally, as I reach Charles and Fayette the summit is within reach. I could almost see my desk chair through the glassy windows. One final stretch and I'd reach my destination. But, as expected this was the most strenuous portion. Two feet of shin deep snow across the square, winds whipping in my face and messing up my well combed hair. Luckily the wind was steady and below 5 knots. I had shed my shell because the sun was beating down, a daring risk in a place like this where the weather can turn in an instant and temperatures can drop to below freezing in a matter of minutes. People acquire frostbite at times like this but on this day the weather would hold out.

I push through the doors, pull my badge out of my pack and scan it as quick as humanly possible. I lunge for the elevator button and fall inside. The doors close and I let the sounds of Michael Bolton music fill my head as I press the number two and try to catch my breath.

I roll out of the elevator, push open the door and fall into my desk chair ... I have reached my goal of making it to work. I plug in my laptop, grab my peanut butter and jelly sandwich and finish my Mountain Dew. I had made it; I had done what few would even attempt. I had climbed the shortest mountain in Baltimore, reached a total elevation of 150 feet, traveled 2.5 excruciating miles and risked it all to be the best Marketing Consultant I can be. Now, I'm ready for a nap.

Locust Point