Chances are a running back will be the first player to come off the board in your fantasy league unless one of your fellow owners has a serious crush on
So who should you take with the first pick?
I've seen varying opinions on which player is the top back in fantasy football, and you can't really go wrong with any of these guys. But for me, it's an easy decision. I'm taking Peterson all day, just like his nickname.
There's nothing worse than drafting a fantasy bust first overall, so I like to go for a sure thing, and that's Peterson, who has been at least a top-five fantasy running back in each of the past three seasons. You can't say that about any other player as the NFL -- and fantasy football, too -- goes all pass-happy on us.
So we know that if another back supplants him as the top fantasy back like Chris Johnson did in 2009 or when Arian Foster came out of nowhere last season, Peterson, barring injury, will be right behind him -- with your squad on his back.
On to the running back rankings…
1. Adrian Peterson,
2. Arian Foster,
3. Chris Johnson,
4. Jamaal Charles,
8. Rashard Mendenhall,
9. LeSean McCoy,
11. Darren McFadden,
12. Shonn Greene,
13. Peyton Hillis,
15. Matt Forte,
16. Frank Gore,
17. LeGarrette Blount,
19. Jahvid Best,
20. Ryan Mathews,
21. Marshawn Lynch,
23. Knowshon Moreno,
24. Ryan Grant,
28. BenJarvus Green-Ellis,
29. Fred Jackson,
If you really want to draft a rookie…
Make it Mark Ingram, the former
Three running backs with sleeper potential…
1. Shonn Greene:
2. Ryan Grant: He has had nearly a full year to rehab his ankle, and he's better than James Starks right now.
3. Willis McGahee: Like I said, I really like McGahee's situation in Denver. He could become the starter.
Three running backs I would draft with caution…
1. Jonathan Stewart: I'm done with "The Daily Show," who squandered his chance to start last season.
2. Joseph Addai: He's a good pass blocker, so that will keep him on the field until a youngster forces him off.
3. Felix Jones and C.J. Spiller: Neither of these speedsters has proved they can carry the load in the NFL.
(For my fantasy football quarterback rankings, released on Monday, click this link right here.)