Las Vegas: Elton John replaces Celine Dion on some dates at Caesars...

The future of Celine Dion’s Las Vegas career remained uncertain this week as Caesars Palace announced that Elton John would extend his run to include some of the dates Dion canceled.

The residency for John’s Las Vegas show, “The Million Dollar Piano,” is being extended for three years, Caesars Entertainment said in a news release. Tickets will go on sale Sunday for 23 newly announced performances between Jan. 16 and April 14.

On six of those nights, he will replace Dion, who said in August that she was canceling all of her scheduled shows through at least March 22.

The Canadian superstar cited her husband Rene Angelil’s health as the key reason for her hiatus. Angelil continues to battle throat cancer.

It’s unknown when Dion might resume performing, a Caesars Entertainment spokesperson said in an email.

But her name was conspicuoulsy absent in a news release earlier this month in which the gaming giant announced that the Colosseum had been honored at the Global Gaming Expo convention. 

“The Colosseum at Caesars Palace, home to the world’s greatest entertainers, including Elton John, Rod Stewart and Shania Twain, was named ‘Casino Arena/Amphitheater of the Year,’” the release said.

Since Dion’s 2003 debut at the Colosseum, which was purpose-built for her, she has performed before more than 3.6 million people.

It’s unclear who, if anyone, will perform in the arena on New Year’s Eve, when Dion had been scheduled to appear. The Colosseum’s ticketing website, axs, notes that Dion’s show is canceled but doesn’t list a replacement act.

Follow us on Twitter at @latimestravel

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times
Paid Post