Many English words derive from Latin. Others from Spanish, American Indian, Norwegian. You name a country, an English word probably came from there. But in the grand history of
He said he created the term "dunkadelic" in 1997 in order to find a one-word term that would combine the basketball and hip-hop culture fusion (coincidentally, he's also the creator of National Basketball & Hip-Hop Culture Month). He started coining phrases for
"I wanted sports to have more hype," said Vaughan, 43, who grew up in Montebello/Homestead and still calls Baltimore home. "Just like everyone, I loved the coined phrases from
And with the Ravens heading to the
1. You must be pretty excited about the Ravens in the Super Bowl, but I haven't heard of your nickname for this year's match-up. Are you ready to reveal your designation?
Yes, Jordan, I have a nickname. Here it is to all Baltimore Ravens fans: "The Rumbo and the Benzo." Rumbo is combination of the words Rumble and Gumbo. New Orleans is known for their gumbo. Benzo is a hip-hop term for Mercedes Benz. The car company is the sponsor of the
2. You dubbed the Ravens/Pats rematch the "Razor Brawl 4 It All." What type of razor did you envision when making this proclamation?
The Gillette Fusion. Dunkadelic was created as the fusion of basketball and hip-hop. Come on, man.
3. It looks like you've added 96 definitions to Urban Dictionary, all variations on "dunkadelic." Which of the words do you think is most likely to make it to the regular dictionary?
I like "dunkadelic-megastar." To me, the dunkadelic-megastar is a Kobe,
4. You founded National Basketball & Hip-Hop Culture Month, which then-
Absolutely. The NBA was founded on June 6, 1946.
5. A lot of good things have come out of the fusion and basketball and hip-hop culture, but
Shaq is not the worst NBA rapper. Allen Iverson was not that bad either. Shaq had a single with Biggie, "You Can't Stop the Reign," a song I like a lot. Shaq has some rap skills. So have to disagree that it was the worst thing. If you get a chance to rap with a legend like Biggie you can't be half bad.
6. You proposed a Wine'tastic Mile designation for a 1.3 mile corridor running from MLK Jr. Boulevard to Harbor East, ending at Central Avenue. Pick another corridor in the city that needs to get a fresh name.
The Wine'tastic Mile street sign is hanging at the corner of MLK Boulevard and Pratt Street. Another city corridor that needs a new name is Pratt Street and Charles to Charles and North. Avenue. I guess I have to come up with something — you've put me on the spot. I like the challenge. I'm like my man BL Cool J. Cool Joe No. 5.
7. Is it OK to call a particularly beautiful funeral "dunkadelic"?
Only if it's a funeral for a basketball player: "Dunkadelic Superstar Laid to Rest." RIP to
8. You dubbed Ray Lewis as "Raytorious L52." Do you think Biggie would approve?
Raytorious L52 is the coolest nickname in the NFL. Raytorious he-is-he-is. Raytorious he-is-he-is. The R-A-Y-T-O-R-I-O-U-S is the B-E-S-T linebacker in history, leading the purple flock like Biggie and Tupac I can't stop I won't stop until we smash Frisco in SB 47 the Rumbo and the Benzo. Biggie would have so much love for Ray its ridiculous. How do you like my rap skills? Not bad, huh?
9. I haven't seen a nickname for yourself. Is it secret?
When I playing rec league basketball I was known a D-Rock. My man,
10. Hypothetical: The Ravens win the Super Bowl and come home in glory. What would you call their return? And it must include some form of "dunkadelic."
Raytorious L52 & the Dunkadelics of the Gridiron Return Home It's Party Time!