Charles Alego "Charlie" Wilson Jr., retired owner of a Baltimore stationery company, died Tuesday from complications of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at his Easton home.
The former Stevenson resident was 91.
Mr. Wilson was born in Baltimore and spent his early years on Kathland Avenue before moving with his family in the 1930s to the Greenspring Valley.
After graduating from McDonogh School in 1939, he earned a bachelor's degree in 1943 from the Johns Hopkins University.
Mr. Wilson enlisted in the Navy and served as a lieutenant aboard Landing Ship Tank 533 throughout World War II.
During the war years, he took the LST on 60 voyages across the English Channel ferrying troops and supplies. He also landed men and materiel on Omaha Beach during D-Day.
After the war, he went to work for his father, who owned and operated the Charles A. Wilson Co., a Guilford Avenue stationery supply company.
He took over the business in 1958 and continued operating it until selling it in 1988.
While living in Stevenson, Mr. Wilson was an avid gardener and had been an active member, senior warden and former vestryman of St. Mark's on the Hill Episcopal Church in Pikesville.
In the 1980s, Mr. Wilson and his wife, the former Betsy Woodall, retired and moved to St. Michaels. There, he volunteered, was a founder of Christmas in St. Michaels, and was able to indulge his passion for boating, fishing and crabbing.
Since 2004, Mr. Wilson had resided at the Londonderry Retirement Community in Easton.
He was a member of Christ Episcopal Church, 301 S. Talbot St., in St. Michaels, where a memorial service was held Saturday.
In addition to his wife of 68 years, Mr. Wilson is survived by a son, Charles A. "Chuck" Wilson III of Baton Rouge; a daughter, Mandy Frothingham of Harvard, Mass.; six grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.