Mary E. Weaver, a former nursery school educator who later managed a Baltimore senior living apartment building, died Feb. 22 of complications from
The daughter of farmers, Mary Elizabeth Hoover was born and raised in Ronks, Pa., in rural
She was a 1948 graduate of East Lamperter High School, and two years later married Kenneth N. Weaver, a geologist. The couple lived in the city's
After briefly living in Pittsburgh, the couple returned to Maryland in 1963 when Dr. Weaver was named state geologist and director of the Maryland Geological Survey, a position he held until retiring in 1992.
In 1963, they moved to the Four Corners neighborhood near Jacksonville, where Mrs. Weaver was a founder and teacher of the Play School nursery school at Chestnut Grove Presbyterian Church, where she was a member.
The school eventually thrived and changed to its current name of Chestnut Grove Child Development Center some years ago.
Mrs. Weaver became interested in gerontology and took numerous courses on counseling and psychology, with an emphasis on aging.
In the late 1970s, she was named activities director at St. Andrews Senior Center and then became manager of
She later became manager of
Mrs. Weaver and her husband were world travelers and enjoyed attending the Everyman Theatre, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and the
They later moved to Mercy Ridge retirement community in
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at her church, 3701 Sweet Air Road, Phoenix,
Mrs. Weaver is survived by a son, Matthew O. Weaver of Las Vegas; a daughter, Wendy Scheinberg of Jarrettsville; a brother, Leroy Hoover of Lancaster, Pa.; and two granddaughters.