The refrain was the same from both
They are holding out hope that leadoff hitter and second baseman
"We don't have any reason to think one way or another. This is an inexact thing. I can't sit here and act like I'm an expert on concussions," Showalter said Monday. "We'd love to have him back playing for us. I'm as curious and anxious to see where it takes us as anybody. But it's just so hard to handicap."
And that creates some additional uncertainty for a club that's already short on depth.
But it's tough to deal him because of the uncertainty surrounding Roberts. The club's other potential second basemen are Matt Antonelli,
"Andino's value to the team is as a backup shortstop and backup second baseman. So if Roberts isn't ready, than Andino becomes more valuable to us," Duquette said. "I hope Brian Roberts is healthy and ready to go. We are encouraged by some of the recent reports so we'll have to wait and see on that."
Markakis, Davis, Arrieta recovering
In his conference with the national media Monday, Showalter gave updates on several players.
A decision on pitcher
No Scott; no contract decision yet
Still, Scott, 33, will be a topic of discussion in Dallas. He is set to make $6 million-plus in his last chance at arbitration this winter. And the Orioles don't want to pay that for a guy who is coming off shoulder surgery and batted just .220 with nine homers in 64 games in 2011.
They would like him back, though, at a lesser salary and have until next Monday at midnight to decide whether to tender him a contract. Scott's agent is in Dallas and the two sides likely will meet at some point this week. They haven't discussed Scott's contract yet this offseason.
Florimon Jr. claimed by
In an attempt to create room on their 40-man roster, the Orioles put infielder Pedro Florimon Jr. on waivers and he was claimed by the Minnesota Twins on Monday. Florimon, who turns 25 this month, had one hit in eight at-bats in four games with the Orioles in September. He batted .267 with a .344 on-base percentage in 133 games for Double-A Bowie.
The Orioles also announced that pitcher Pedro Viola, who was taken off the roster last week to make room for
Showalter likes Darvish
Showalter said he has watched tape on 25-year-old Japanese right-hander Yu Darvish and thinks he has the ability to succeed in the majors. If he does come to the majors this year — he has yet to be posted — it will probably cost roughly $100 million in posting fees and contract value.
"I'd take him," Showalter said smiling. "Is he coming for free? I don't think so."
Around the horn
Duquette reiterated that Korean right-hander Chong Tae-Hyon is still deciding between staying in his home country or joining the Orioles. Chong has seen Orioles' doctors, but Duquette wouldn't confirm whether he has been medically cleared to play. … The Orioles are hopeful they'll be able to announce the big-league coaching staff by the end of the week. They haven't announced their bullpen coach — expected to be Bill Castro — or third-base coach, which likely will be Demarlo Hale if he leaves the