By Ronald D. White
7:29 AM PST, December 5, 2012
The nation's retailers are among those most relieved that the 8-day-old strike at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach is over.
Although the movement of goods to the U.S. from Asia for the holiday season had been largely completed weeks ago, the retailers were so concerned about the impact of the strike that they called on President Obama to intercede to end it.
"We're glad to see a deal was finally reached and the strike will finally end," said Jonathan Gold of the National Retail Federation after learning that the picket lines ending and dockworkers returning to work.
"Hopefully the retailers and other affected industries will be able to quickly recover from the shutdown," said Gold, the federation's vice president for supply chain and customs policy.
The strike was launched by the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 63 Office Clerical Unit, which handles the vast amounts of paperwork associated with the cargo handled by the two ports.
The strike idled 10 of the 14 cargo container terminals at what is the nation's busiest seaport complex.
“Our economy cannot withstand another port disruption.” said National Retail Federation president and chief executive, Matthew Shay.
Economists had estimated that the strike was blocking more than $1 billion a day in goods from passing through the ports.
Copyright © 2013, Los Angeles Times