A Palm Springs retreat where screen legend Cary Grant held court for 20 years is for sale at $3.495 million.
Designed by architect John Byers in the style of a 19th century Spanish farmhouse, the residence was completed in 1930. The 1.5-acre estate is in the so-called Movie Colony area, named for its famous residents. Hollywood greats Alfred Hitchcock, Katharine Hepburn, Frank Sinatra and Grace Kelly were among those Grant entertained at the hacienda.
Called Las Palomas, or the Doves, the property has been restored to preserve its original elements. Thick whitewashed walls, hand-painted kitchen and bathroom tile, wood-burning fireplaces and hand-made terra-cotta tile floors are among the details.
A soaring wood-beam ceiling, stone fireplace and tile floor add character to the living room. The 6,000-square-foot house has six bedrooms, five full bathrooms and a powder room. The master suite has a fireplace and balconies that overlook the lawn.
French doors open to a patio, the swimming pool and the spa. The grounds include a motor court, 80-year-old eucalyptus, several types of palms, agave and a variety of fruit trees.
Grant, who died in 1986 at 82, was a leading man in such films as "North by Northwest" (1959), "To Catch a Thief" (1955) and "Notorious" (1946).
The property previously sold four years ago for $1.301 million, public records show.
Eric Lavey and Mauricio Umanksy of the Agency and Mike Patakas of HOM Sotheby's International Real Estate are the listing agents.