This 1923 Mediterranean Revival in Whitley Heights, one of Hollywood's earliest celebrity enclaves, was originally owned by silent film comedian Clyde W. Cook and his first wife, actress Alice Knowlton.
Centering on Hollywood and downtown L.A. from its southwest exposure, the home was described as having “a most marvelous view of the Los Angeles plain from their terrace” in a 1926 story in The Times. The story also noted that Cook was “carving a ship model for the mantel" at the time.
During the 1930s and '40s, the home was owned by Risser Patty, a former dean of music at Coe College, who taught voice lessons and hosted concert parties on the property.
Listed for sale at $1.175 million, the home most recently sold for $837,500 in 2003. About six years earlier it went for $385,000.
In keeping with the period style, original tile lines an exterior staircase leading to the two-story main house.
French doors, hardwoods and wrought iron finishes are a common theme throughout the 3,339 square feet, which count four bedrooms and three bathrooms. Features include a living room with a tiled fireplace, an enclosed sun room and a master suite with a large deck.
Outside, the grounds center on an open courtyard filled with a collection of bougainvillea, palms and fruit trees. A separate entrance leads to a guest apartment complete with beamed ceilings, a kitchen, a living room and a laundry room.
Barry Gray and William Baker of deasy/penner & partners have the listing.