The 400 richest Americans, including U.S. citizens now living abroad, as compiled by Forbes magazine. Following each name is the person's age, net worth, hometown and source of wealth.
Where more than one name is listed under a number, there is a tie.
1. William Gates III, 51, $59 billion, Medina, Wash., Microsoft
2. Warren Buffett, 77, $52 billion, Omaha, Neb., Berkshire Hathaway
3. Sheldon Adelson, 74, $28 billion, Las Vegas, casinos, hotels
4. Lawrence Ellison, 63, $26 billion, Redwood City, Calif., Oracle
5. Sergey Brin, 34, $18.5 billion, Palo Alto, Calif., Google
5. Larry Page, 34, $18.5 billion, San Francisco, Google
7. Kirk Kerkorian, 90, $18 billion, Los Angeles, investments, casinos
8. Michael Dell, 42, $17.2 billion, Austin, Texas, Dell
9. Charles Koch, 71, $17 billion, Wichita, Kan., oil, commodities
9. David Koch, 67, $17 billion, New York, oil, commodities
11. Paul Allen, 54, $16.8 billion, Mercer Island, Wash., Microsoft, investments
12. Christy Walton and family, 52, $16.3 billion, Jackson, Wyo., Wal-Mart inheritance
12. Jim Walton, 59, $16.3 billion, Bentonville, Ark., Wal-Mart
12. S. Robson Walton, 63, $16.3 billion, Bentonville, Ark., Wal-Mart
15. Alice Walton, 58, $16.1 billion, Fort Worth, Texas, Wal-Mart
16. Steven Ballmer, 51, $15.2 billion, Hunts Point, Wash., Microsoft
17. Abigail Johnson, 45, $15 billion, Boston, Fidelity
Forbes magazine list of 400 richest Americans
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.
Los Angeles Times welcomes civil dialogue about our stories; you must register with the site to participate. We filter comments for language and adherence to our Terms of Service, but not for factual accuracy. By commenting, you agree to these legal terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.
Having technical problems? Check here for guidance.