Burnham Hotel: Daniel Burnham, a visionary architect and urban planner, was the chief of construction and director of works of the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893 and co-author of the far-sighted 1909 Plan of Chicago.
Carson Pirie Scott & Co.: Samuel Carson and John T. Pirie were Scottish-Irish immigrants and brothers-in-law who opened a store in Amboy, Ill., in 1854. Two years later, they were joined in the business by George and Robert S. Scott, newly arrived from Ireland. They opened their first Chicago store in 1867 on Lake Street.
Clark Street: Gen. George Rogers Clark was the founder of Louisville and a Revolutionary War leader who captured the Northwest Territory, including Illinois, from the British.
Daley Center: Richard J. Daley, Chicago mayor from 1955 through 1976 and father of the city's present chief executive.
Dearborn Street: Named for Henry Dearborn, a veteran of the Bunker Hill battle who, as secretary of war for Thomas Jefferson, ordered the establishment of Ft. Dearborn in 1803.
Dirksen Federal Building (courthouse): Everett McKinley Dirksen was a Republican U.S. senator from Pekin, Ill. (1951-1969) who served as Minority Leader for 11 years.
Garland Building: Named for the Garland Stove, the trade brand of the Michigan Stove Co., which occupied an earlier Garland Building at the same site. During the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Michigan Stove displayed a mammoth version of its Garland Stove in carved oak -- 25 feet tall, 30 feet long and 20 feet wide.
Kluczynski Federal Building (offices): John C. Kluczynski was a 12-term Democratic congressman (1951-1975) who represented Chicago's Bridgeport neighborhood. At the urging of fellow Chicago U.S. Rep. Dan Rostenkowski, the building was named for Kluczynski less than eight months after he died.
LaSalle Street: Robert Cavalier, Sieur de La Salle, was a testy French explorer who passed through the Chicago region in 1682.
Marshall Field & Co.: Marshall Field was a major Chicago businessman who founded his namesake department store in 1888, pioneered many modern retail practices and amassed one of the largest fortunes in the U.S.
Miller's Pub: Named for Dan and George Miller who opened the Miller's Bar and Grill at 23 E. Adams St. in 1935. They sold it in 1950 to the Gallios family who moved it to its present location.
Monadnock Building: Named for Mt. Monadnock in New Hampshire. The building was originally owned by a family from New England, and each of its four entrances was named for a mountain in New England. The others were Kearsarge, Wachusett and Katahdin. Monadnock eventually came to be used to refer to the entire structure.
The Rookery: The name originally referred to a temporary City Hall that had been located on the site following the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. It was a favorite roost of pigeons and crows.
Palmer House Hilton: Potter Palmer was a founder of the Chicago Board of Trade who opened the first Palmer House in 1871, less than two weeks before it was destroyed by the Great Chicago Fire. The present structure, built in 1927, is the hotel's third incarnation.
Pittsfield Building: Named after Pittsfield, Mass., where young Marshall Field got his first job as an errand boy at a dry goods store. The 1927 building was commissioned by Field's estate.
Presidents: Seven Loop streets are named for U.S. presidents: George Washington, James Madison, James Monroe, John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren. Nineteenth Century historian A.T. Andreas notes that the 1830 survey of the village of Chicago had Washington Street as the southern boundary and Jefferson Street (west of the Chicago River) as the western border, presumably because of the importance of the two men in U.S. history. By 1835, other streets had been given their presidential names, generally in chronological order. Andreas blamed anti-federalism feeling in the village for placing Adams Street in a more southern location and for honoring John Quincy Adams with only his middle name.
Randolph Street: John Randolph was a U.S. senator from Virginia and a cousin of Thomas Jefferson.
Wells Street: Named for Capt. William Wells, a U.S. Army officer killed in the Ft. Dearborn Massacre of 1812.
Wabash Avenue: Wabasha was a Mdewakanton Sioux chief. (More probably, the name comes from an Indian word for "gleaming white.")Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times