In the late nineteenth century, Jewish immigrants started a produce market on Maxwell Street where it crosses Halsted Street. Over the years, Maxwell Street, shown here in about 1905, grew into a vast Sunday-morning flea market. The market moved east to Canal Street in 1994, when the Maxwell Street area was bought by the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Tribune archive photo
Copyright © 2018, Los Angeles Times