In the late nineteenth century, Jewish immigrants started a produce market on Maxwell Street where it crosses Halsted Street. Over the years Maxwell Street, shown here in about 1905, grew into a vast Sunday-morning flea market. The market moved east to Canal Street in 1994, when the Maxwell Street area was bought by the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Photo Courtesy of Barnes Crosby and Chicago Historical Society
Copyright © 2018, Los Angeles Times