Two men were killed and at least 11 people were wounded -- one of them by police -- in shootings from Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday morning across Chicago, police said.
One of the fatal shootings occurred around 12:40 a.m. when a gunman emerged from a gangway in the 6300 block of South May Street and opened fire on a passing car, police said.
Two men inside were struck and were taken to
Around 10:20 p.m. Tuesday, a shooter or shooters approached a vehicle in the 7700 block of South Damen Avenue and opened fire, police said
A 19-year-old man inside the vehicle was struck multiple times in the neck and face, police said.
The man, identified as Jaelin Lusk-Slaughter, 19, of the 1700 block of East 71st Street, was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in
Details of the shooting were not available from police. No suspects were in custody.
Among those wounded overnight was a man shot by police around midnight after pointing a gun at an officer in the 1600 block of East 83rd Street, authorities said.
Police officers heard gunfire and were told the shots came from a car. When they tried to stop the car, a passenger ran off and the officer chased him, police said. The man turned and pointed a gun at the officer and the officer fired, striking the man, according to police.
The man was taken to a hospital with injuries that were not believed to be life-threatening, according to Patrick Camden, a spokesman for the Fraternal Order of Police union.
In other shootings:
• About 2:35 a.m., two gunmen stepped out of a car and fired shots at a man walking by a gas station in the 8700 block of South Justine Street, police said. The 18-year-old man was struck in the leg and foot but refused medical attention, police said.
• About 2:10 a.m., a 27-year-old woman was shot while standing outside a liquor store in the 3900 block of West Arthington Street, Gaines said. She was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in good condition.
• About 1:30 a.m., a man in his 30s was shot in the 6600 block of South Evans Avenue, police said. The man was struck in his left bicep and taken to the
• About 10 p.m., an 18-year-old man was shot in both sides of his body in the 9600 block of South Carpenter Street, Police News Affairs Officer Hector Alfaro said. The man was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where his condition was stabilized.
• A gunman fired shots from an alley in the Logan Square neighborhood, striking a man and a woman, police said. The shooting happened about 8:10 p.m. in the 2100 block of North Campbell Avenue, authorities said
A 32-year-old woman suffered a gunshot wound to the thigh, and a 54-year-old man was shot in the leg, Alfaro.
Paramedics took the woman in serious-to-critical condition to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center,
The shooter fled in a red minivan and was not taken into custody, Alfaro said.
• Earlier in the Far South Side's
The man was walking west on East 90th Street when he heard shots and realized he was struck near South Exchange Avenue, Alfaro said. He was taken to Trinity Hospital in good condition.
• In the South Shore neighborhood, two people were shot shortly after 4 p.m.
A 19-year-old man and a man in his 20s were wounded in the shooting, which happened in the 7700 block of South Burnham Avenue, News Affairs Officer Joshua Purkiss said, citing preliminary information.
The younger man was shot in the back, and the older man was shot in the back and the head, Purkiss said.
Paramedics took two people from the area to