Berwyn man dies in house fire

Berwyn

A Berwyn man died from carbon monoxide poisoning after a fire broke out in his home Wednesday night in the western suburb, authorities say.

The Berwyn Fire Department received a call at 7:30 p.m. for a fire in the 2400 block of Euclid Avenue. James Brelowski, 56, of the Euclid address, was declared dead at 8:28 p.m. at MacNeal Hospital in Berwyn, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office.

Brelowski died from carbon monoxide toxicity from the fire after inhaling "products of combustion," the medical examiner's office determined this afternoon. His death was ruled an accident.

Sam Molinaro, the assistant fire chief, said the victim was found in a stairway of the burning structure.  He was taken to MacNeal Hospital in Berwyn where he was later pronounced dead.

Molinaro said the home had “a lot of contents,” making it difficult for firefighters to maneuver. There was heavy damage in the attic and roof area, he said.

“It’s an unfortunate event,” said Molinaro. “We don’t know how the fire started at this point.”

triblocalfeedback@tribune.com

Twitter: @TribLocal

Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times
Related Content
Berwyn
Comments
Loading