At least three guns, including a rifle with a scope, and a bulletproof vest were found after a nearly six-hour standoff that shut down part of the CTA Red Line, officials said.
The standoff began Monday night as investigators sought to question four men about a slaying in South Bend, Ind., officials said. Police took one of the men in custody at about 4:15 p.m., but the three others barricaded themselves in the building in the 4600 block of North Broadway.
They surrendered without incident just before 10 p.m., officials said.
Police recovered a .40-caliber handgun, a .45-caliber handgun, a 223 rifle with a scope and a bulletproof vest, according to Tom Ahern, a spokesman for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The men had not been charged as of late Tuesday.
Authorities said the men had been sought by South Bend police for questioning about the fatal shooting of a 31-year-old man on Nov. 18.
Deitrich Perkins was shot while sitting in his car and then tried to flee but collapsed in a nearby lot, according to South Bend Capt. Phil Trent. A woman in the car at the time was unharmed.
A 20-year-man, Thomas Mitchell, was charged in connection with the killing and was released on $10,000 cash bail, Trent said. South Bend police believe three other people were involved in the shooting.
An arrest warrant was issued today against one of the men arrested Monday evening, Ahern said.
During the six-hour standoff, the Red Line did not operate between Belmont and Berwyn avenues, while the Purple Line Express was shut down through the evening rush. Shuttle buses operated between Belmont and Berwyn.Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times