9 hospitalized, 2 serious in Far South Side carbon monoxide poisoning

Nine family members have been hospitalized and two are in serious condition after being sickened today by carbon monoxide fumes from a water heater that malfunctioned at a Far South Side home.

At 10:42 a.m., five ambulances were sent to a building in the 10100 block of South Hoxie Avenue in the South Deering neighborhood for elevated carbon monoxide readings, according to the Chicago Fire Department.

The readings were measured at a dangerous level -- 500 parts per million -- and 10 patients in fair-to-serious condition were treated, the fire department said.

The ten complained of headaches and are members of the same family, South Chicago District police Sgt. Michael Rafferty said. Their injuries were not life-threatening, he said.

Rafferty said the incident took place at a single-family home where a hot water heater had apparently malfunctioned. 

Of the ten, 9 were taken to hospitals, including 2 who were in serious condition, according to fire department spokesman Sean Flynn.

Four others were in fair-to-serious condition while 3 were in good condition, said Flynn. One person declined to go to a hospital.

Three were taken to Advocate Trinity Hospital, three to Jackson Park Hospital and Medical Center and three to South Shore Hospital, according to the fire department.

A Level I Hazardous Materials incident was also called because of the high readings, said Flynn.

The building is being ventilated and the ambulance plan has been secured.

rsobol@tribune.com

chicagobreaking@tribune.com

Twitter: @ChicagoBreaking

Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times
Comments
Loading