Cook County prosecutors have declined to charge
over accusations by a woman that the
shortstop sexually assaulted her at his Chicago home last fall.
Sally Daly, a spokeswoman with the state's attorney's office, said Friday there was insufficient evidence to charge Castro with wrongdoing following a “comprehensive review” of the allegations by Chicago police and prosecutors.
Police interviewed the alleged victim as well as other witnesses but did not take the matter to a grand jury because of the lack of evidence, according to Daly.
“All of the facts of the case were examined very closely,” she said. “The review of the case was exhaustive.”
If new information becomes available or new witnesses come forward, officials could re-open the investigation, Daly said.
The woman accused Castro of sexually assaulting her at his Near North apartment in September, according to a police report provided to the Tribune. The alleged victim was then 22, a source said at the time.
Castro had left for his home in his native
by the time the police learned of the allegation. When he returned in January as the main attraction for the Cubs annual fan fest, he was interviewed by authorities at Area 3 police headquarters.
In a telephone interview Friday, Paul Kinzer, Castro’s agent, said Castro was “very happy” to learn that prosecutors had decided against charges.
"We just want to move on,” Kinzer said. “Starlin doesn’t want it to be a distraction for he or the team.
“He’s a remarkable young guy,” he added. “You see how he’s playing. He’s doing great.”
Through 14 games this year, Castro is batting .352 with 7 RBIs. Last season he led the
in hits and was named to his first All-Star team.
The Cubs issued a statement from general manager
expressing relief that the controversy was over.
“We’re pleased for Starlin that this issue is resolved and glad that he can continue to keep his focus on baseball activities,” Hoyer said.
Paul Zido, the lawyer for Castro’s accuser, said he was disappointed that prosecutors did not pursue charges. He said he learned of the decision earlier this week.
“That’s their decision, what they want to do,” Zido said Friday evening.
When asked whether a lawsuit might still be filed against Castro, Zido said, “That remains to be seen.”
Tribune reporter Dave Van Dyck contributed.