Your Klout score tells you how influential you are on social media. But why isn't there a score to tell you how smart you are on social media?
Far from official but hopefully useful, I'd like to introduce to you my own scoring system: The SMIQ, or social media IQ.
Rest easy, friends, followers and circle dwellers: It isn't hard to achieve a good score. Yes, you'll see yourself below, but all it takes is a little common sense and the willingness to laugh and make changes where necessary.
Answer each question honestly, keep track of your totals and score yourself at the end.
1. How do you feel about checking in at your home on
- Are you kidding? You'd never tell anyone where you live. (10 points)
- Your home has the best fake name ever, but I just broke the news to you that everyone can see the pin on the map. (5 points)
- You don't care if people know where you live; you have curtains. (Zero points)
2. What about accepting Facebook friend requests from every random person, including those in languages you can't read?
- Everyone knows that's why you enable subscribers and choose your friends wisely. (10 points)
- The name sounded like someone your ex from 10 years ago once talked about while sleeping and you had a weak moment where you wanted to post something mean on their wall. (5 points)
- You know you get 5,000 friends so none of this matters because you're only at 3,854. (Zero points)
3. When it comes to automatic direct messages on Twitter, you ...
- Loathe them so much you consider unfollowing them just for trying it on you, but you also do your best to give the person the benefit of the doubt. (10 points)
- Understand where they're coming from because you send a few a week, even though you know you can do better. (5 points)
- Are so excited that there's an automated way to tweet that you already signed up for the service before reading this sentence. (Zero points)
4. Why not upload every single photo you own to Instagram?
- Reading the previous sentence brought a tear to your eye. (10 points)
- You started after a night of heavy partying and swore after photo 1,000 it would never happen again. (5 points)
- You see nothing wrong with this because you think the world wants to see photos of your ingrown toenail. (Zero points)
- You add one or more filters to the photo of your ingrown toenail. (Minus 5 points)
5. Your title is social media expert and you can prove it because it's on your business card. How do you feel about that?
- You know you aren't a social media expert because that implies you have nothing left to learn. (10 points)
- You really wanted social media ninja, but the j looked funky in the font you chose. (5 points)
- You wear one of those glowing LED nametags flashing social media expert *AND* you signed up for Twitter yesterday. (Zero points)
41-50 points: Your SMIQ is impressive. The only way your day gets better is if @justinbieber retweets you.
31-40 points: You seem dedicated to improving your SMIQ. Take the test again in two weeks and lose the nametag.
21-30 points: There's still hope. Also, check your math just in case you aren't good at math.
20 points or less: I'd still follow you, but only with a note from your podiatrist. Heavy reading and bookmarking at chicagotribune.com/sosocial strongly recommended.