Hire Ground Chat: Looking For A Job

Jobs and WorkplaceJob MarketScienceThe Coca-Cola CompanyWTIC

Newsteam: Good morning, everybody. Our live chat this morning will be with Ross Primack, a career coach with the Connecticut Department of Labor.Send in your questions for Ross at any time, and we'll begin around 9 a.m.

Ross Primack: Good morning jobseekers. Feel free to ask me any questions pertaining to your job search.

Here's a recent tip that I want to share with you:

If you interview for a position, DO NOT send the interviewer a Facebook friend request. I have heard about this happening and it can seriously jeopardize your candidacy.Tuesday February 8, 2011 8:44

Ross Primack: If you have your resume posted on a job board, go in on a regular basis and do an update or tweak. If your resume was posted months ago, it's in the system but will show up a the bottom of an employers search.Tuesday February 8, 2011 8:45

Ross Primack: To ensure that your resume has the right keywords, try the following activity:

Do a national job search (I'm not suggesting looking for work in another state-this is for research purposes only)....Search under your job title and use a plus (+) sign and the word "keyword." For example, if you're an accountant, your search would read:

Accountant + keyword

DO NOT enter a location....it's a national search.

This will bring up a listing of job postings where the employer actually lists the keywords that they use in their search for candidates.

Remember that keywords are like magnets that draw the employer to your resume/candidacy.Tuesday February 8, 2011 8:48

Ross Primack: When interviewing for a job ALWAYS send a thank you letter. Some employers such as the Coca Cola corporation will not consider candidates (for any position) who fail to send a thank you letter. It should be typed and IF you send it via email make sure that the employer does not have filtering criteria in their subject line.

The thank you letter should not only thank the interviewer, but also remind him/her of your qualifications.Tuesday February 8, 2011 8:51

[Comment From Chuck: ] I am an accountant who has been out of work for 18 months. There are no accounying jobs in this area. This is only an insurance industry town. I have sent 1000's of resumesout but no one responds back. The job process is very competitive and is a joke. I have 28 years experience in the accounting field.Tuesday February 8, 2011 8:53

Ross Primack: Chuck:

Do you have your resume online? If so what sites do you have your resume posted on?

RossTuesday February 8, 2011 8:54

[Comment From Phil: ] Can you briefly mention what NOT to put on a resume? It's been awhile since I've had to find a new job (laid off after 20 yr career) and I've seem to run into sending my resumes into a black hole -where I receive no call, no feedback, no insights as to why I'm not the best fit. My guess is that they see my depth of experience and figure I'm too expensive. Your thoughts?Tuesday February 8, 2011 8:54

Ross Primack: Phil:

Can you tell me the types of jobs you are targeting?

How many years of experience are you reflecting on your resume?

RossTuesday February 8, 2011 8:55

[Comment From Chuck: ] careerbuilder, monster,yahoo and craigslist is checked every dayTuesday February 8, 2011 8:59

Ross Primack: Chuck:

Have you updated your resume (on any of these sites) since you posted it?

Tuesday February 8, 2011 8:56

[Comment From Chuck: ] Nothing really to update. Have not worked. I have 3 jobs on my experience totalling 23 years. This shows stability.Tuesday February 8, 2011 8:59

Ross Primack: Chuck:

Even if you have nothing to update, go in and re-enter information and click on update. This will bring you back into the database so that an employer doing a search will find you higher on their list.

On your online resume do you have accounting terms spelling out (i.e. Accounts Payable) or do you use the common abbreviations (i.e. AP).

Tuesday February 8, 2011 9:01

[Comment From Phil: ] Sure. I'm after a position in marketing -hopefully, within a manufacturing company. In my resume I list manufacturing related mini-careers (going 5-10 yrs in some cases) that all serve to reinforce my depth of understanding the various functions within a mfg. co -ie: engineering, programming, sales and marketing, trade shows, etc. Am I overwhelming the employer?Tuesday February 8, 2011

Ross Primack: Phil:

Is your resume posted online. I'm finding for marketing (and many other jobs) the current trend is to make sure that you can be "found" online.

I can't tell if your resume is overwhelming without seeing it. Think of a job posting as a series of questions (i.e. do you have this skill, this experience, etc.). If your resume answers those questions directly, you're on the right track. However if your resume is vague about answering those questions it might be time to re-evaluate this document. Have you had your resume reviewed by a Certified Professional Resume Writer.Tuesday February 8, 2011 9:05

Ross Primack: Phil:

The Labor Department has Certified Professional Resume Writers on staff to review your resume at no cost. We have the same training as someone you'd pay.

Tuesday February 8, 2011 9:08

[Comment From Phil: ] I will check the CT.GOV site to find one, then. Thanks. What should I expect as far as timeliness and content of a reply?Tuesday February 8, 2011 9:11

Ross Primack: Phil:

In most offices, you can meet in person with a Certified Professional Resume Writer to discuss your resume. When you meet with the writer be sure to get a copy of the Career Worksheet for your occupation. This is another great free resource that we offer.Tuesday February 8, 2011 9:13

[Comment From Phil: ] Having no job, I don't have the money to pay a certified resume writer ...unless there are some no cost options?Tuesday February 8, 2011

[Comment From jenny and the bets: ] I've still got a job (FOR NOW), should i still be looking for a better one? Or just count my blessings and stick with it?Tuesday February 8, 2011 9:14

Ross Primack: Jenny:

If you're going to look for another job DO NOT conduct any aspect of your job search from work. In other words, don't use the internet at work and do not use a work email for job search purposes. If you post your resume online remember that it's possible for your current employer (if they subscribe to the site) to view your resume. In this challenging economy, you don't want to do anything to jeopardize your current job while exploring other opportunities.Tuesday February 8, 2011 9:16

Ross Primack: I just want to mention to everyone that the Labor Department will resume its job fair schedule next month. Be sure to check our website for a list of locations and employers.

www.ctjobfairs.comTuesday February 8, 2011 9:17

[Comment From Kim: ] Is it OK to send Thank You notes via email? Who should you address the Thank You note to when you apply for jobs by posting your resume online?Tuesday February 8, 2011 9:20

Ross Primack: Kim:

It's okay to send your Thank You via email, but make sure (if possible) to find out if the employer uses any filtering criteria in their subject field. Sometimes a subject line like "Thank You" can direct correspondence immediately to junk mail. In the subject line you may want to reference the specific job and if the position has a number assigned by HR uses that to. Address your Thank you to the person that you met with.Tuesday February 8, 2011 9:22

[Comment From Frank: ] Ross , thank you and fox news for this great service.Tuesday February 8, 2011 9:22

Ross Primack: Thank you Frank.Tuesday February 8, 2011 9:22

Ross Primack: One other note.....Certified Professional Resume Writers are on-hand at our job fairs. They will critique your resume, provide suggestions and also give you sample formats. Sometimes a simple change can make a dramatic impact on the effectiveness of the document.Tuesday February 8, 2011 9:24

[Comment From Kim: ] Should you send a thank you to someone that saw your resume on line and sent you jobs to consider?Tuesday February 8, 2011 9:25

Ross Primack: Kim:

You could do this. It never hurts to have an additional connection at the company.Tuesday February 8, 2011 9:25

Ross Primack: One other tip for interviews......"Tell me about your weaknesses"

This is the #1 question that eliminates candidates from consideration according to the Society for Human Resource Management.

Never discuss a weakness that may raise a red flag. Remember that part of the interviewers job is to "screen-out" candidates.

So how do you answer the question?

Relate a weakness that would make you more marketable but not eliminate you from consideration.

For example, not speaking a second language. Being bi-lingual is a very marketable skill. However, if it's a skill you don't have and is not required for a specific position, this is a "safe answer."

Other examples include not having an advanced degree. If you are applying for potions that do not require advanced degrees, it's not an issue. Having higher levels of education can make you more marketable, but it's not an issue for a prospective employer, it's another safe weakness.Tuesday February 8, 2011 9:32

Ross Primack: It's been great chatting with all of you today.

As I noted today, make sure that you have a digital presence. 75-80 % of jobs are not advertised. Employers prefer to "find" candidates rather than "advertise" for them. If an employer advertises a position, he or she may receive hundreds or thousands of resumes in response. An increasing number of employers are now turning to job search sites and LinkedIn to find candidates.

Best of luck to all of you.

RossTuesday February 8, 2011 9:36