From the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum to the Wise Memorial Gallery, art abounds in Hampton Roads.
1. Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum. Nationally acclaimed collection of American folk art features paintings, sculpture, furniture, ceramics, works on paper and toys. Museum shop and café. Open 10-7 daily, March 15,2010-Jan. 2, 2011. Café open 11-4 daily. Adults, $9.95; children (6-17), $4.95 (includes admission to other Colonial Williamsburg museums). Annual passes available. Enter through the Public Hospital of 1773. 325 Francis St., Williamsburg. 220-7724. history.org/history/museums
2. Chrysler Museum of Art. Nearly 40,000 objects spanning 5,000 years of art, including nationally known holdings in European and American painting and sculpture, a world-renowned glass collection and distinguished photography galleries as well as surveys of African, Asian, Egyptian, Pre-Columbian and Islamic art. 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Wednesday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursday-Saturday and 12-5 p.m. Sunday. Free admission. 245 W. Olney Road at Mowbray Arch, Norfolk. 664-6200. chrysler.org
3. Contemporary Art Center of Virginia. Changing exhibits of contemporary painting, sculpture, photography, glass, video and other media from various artists. 10 a.m.-
5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday and 12-4 p.m. Sunday. Adults, $7; students, seniors (65+), active military (must show ID), $5; children (4-14), $3. 2200 Parks Ave., Virginia Beach.
4. Courthouse Galleries of the Portsmouth Museums. Changing art exhibits of all kinds. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday and 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday. 9 a.m.-8 p.m. first Friday of each month. Adults, $3. Court and High streets, Portsmouth. 393-8543. courthousegalleries.com
5. DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum. One of the nation's top collections of late 17th-, 18th- and early 19th-century English and American decorative arts. Open 10-7 daily, March 15, 2010-Jan. 2, 2011. Adults $9.95, children (6-17) $4.95 (includes admission to other Colonial Williamsburg museums). Annual passes available. Enter through the Public Hospital of 1773. 325 Francis St., Williamsburg. 220-7724.
6. Hampton University Museum. Changing exhibitions of African-American and African art, plus some of the nation's leading permanent collections of Native American and African art.
8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday, 12-4 p.m. Saturday. Free admission. Huntington Building, 11 Frissell Ave., Hampton University, Hampton. 727-5308. museum.
7. Hermitage Foundation Museum. A 1907 mansion with 13 galleries of period art and furnishings, including a fine collection of Oriental carpets, plus a changing exhibit gallery. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday. Closed major holidays. Adults, $5; college students (with ID), $3; children (6-18), $2; under 6 and active military, free. 7637 N. Shore Road, Norfolk. 423-2052. hermitagefoundation.org
8. Muscarelle Museum of Art/College of William and Mary. Changing exhibits of contemporary and period art, plus a nationally known collection of Colonial-era paintings. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday and 12-4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. $5 (with increased fees for selected changing exhibits). Jamestown Road, Williamsburg. 221-2700. wm.edu/muscarelle
9. Peninsula Fine Arts Center. Changing exhibits of contemporary regional art and traveling exhibits from other institutions. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday. Adults, $7.50; seniors, active military, students and teachers, AAA, $6; children (6-12), $4; under 6 free. Free admission 5:30-8 p.m. Tuesdays. 101 Museum Drive, Newport News. 596-8175. pfac-va.org
10. Suffolk Museum. Changing exhibits by local and regional artists. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday. Closed Dec. 25-29 and Jan. 1-5.Free admission and parking. 118 Bosley Ave., Suffolk. 514-7284. suffolkmuseumva.com
11. Andrews Gallery/College of William and Mary. Changing exhibits of contemporary painting, crafts, sculpture. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. Free admission. Andrews Hall (located to the rear of Phi Beta Kappa Memorial Hall), Jamestown Road, Williamsburg. 221-1452. wm.edu/andrewsgallery
12. Armstrong/Slater Gallery, Hampton University. Changing exhibits by local, regional and national artists. Hours vary. Free. Armstrong/Slater Building, Marshall Avenue, HU, Hampton. 727-5402. www.hamptonu.edu/academics/schools/libarts/fparts/art_theatre.htm
13. Art-cade Gallery. Original paintings, drawings, cartoons and sculpture from nationally prominent illustrators such as Dr. Seuss and Tom Everhart. Hours vary by season. Free. 1321 Jamestown Road, Suite 204, Williamsburg. 565-7424. artcadeonline.com
14. Art Speaks Gallery (Bay School Cultural Arts Center). Permanent collection of paintings, fiber arts, glassware and jewelry. Changing exhibits by local and regional artists. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday and 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Free. 279 Main St., Mathews. 804-725-1ART. bayschool-arts.com/gallery.shtml
15. Baron and Ellin Gordon Art Galleries/Old Dominion University. Changing exhibits of contemporary work by regional and national artists in the University Gallery and contemporary folk art in the Baron & Ellin Gordon Self-Taught Art Gallery. 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday. Free. 4509 Monarch Way, Norfolk. 683-6271. al.odu.edu/art/gallery/index.php
16. Blue Skies Gallery. Changing exhibits by local, regional artists. 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday (year round) and 12-5 p.m. Sunday (Apr-Dec). 26 S. King St., Hampton. Free. 727-0028. blueskiesart.com
17. Charles H. Taylor Arts Center. Changing exhibits of local and regional contemporary art. 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Friday and 1-5 p.m. Saturday-Sunday. Free. 4205 Victoria Blvd., Hampton. 727-1490. hamptonarts.net/cht/exhibitions.html
18. d'ART Center. Changing exhibits by local and regional artists and working artists studios. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday. Free. Selden Arcade, 208 Main St., Norfolk. 625-4211. d-artcenter.org
19. Falk Gallery/Christopher Newport University. Changing exhibits include contemporary artists and student work. September-May: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday; June-August: 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday. Free. Ferguson Center for the Arts, Christopher Newport University, University Place and Warwick Boulevard, Newport News. 594-7930. finearts.cnu.edu/falk.html
20. Gallery on Merchants Square. Painting, sculpture, prints and furniture by nationally recognized artists. 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 12-5 p.m. Sunday. Free. 440A Duke of Gloucester St., Williamsburg. 564-1787. galleryonmsq.com
21. Gallery on the York. Changing exhibits by regional artists, plus displays by about 80 local artists. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday and 1-4 p.m. Sunday. Free. 7907-A George Washington Memorial Highway, Yorktown. 898-3076.
22. Imagine Art Studios. Changing exhibits of original art plus limited edition prints. 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday. Free. 131 Main St., Smithfield. 357-0690. imaart.com
23. Mathews Art Gallery. Changing exhibits of watercolors, stained glass and photography by more than 50 area artists. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Saturday. Free. 206 Main St., Mathews. 804-725-3326. mathewsartgallery.org
24. Nancy Thomas Gallery. Changing exhibits of contemporary folk art and work by nationally known, self-taught artist Nancy Thomas. Yorktown: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday. 145 Ballard St., Yorktown, 877-645-0601. Williamsburg: 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 12-5 p.m. Sunday. Merchants Square, Williamsburg, 259-1938. nancythomas.com
25. Red Thread Studio and Fine Art Gallery. Changing exhibits of fine crafts and textiles, plus ongoing displays by member artists. The facility was damaged by fire, so check the website for updates on openings and hours. Free. 153 W. Washington St., Suffolk. 923-9832. theredthreadstudio.com
26. Shooting Star Gallery. Changing exhibits of photography, painting, fine crafts and other media by local artists. 12-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday. Free. 118 N. Main St., Suffolk. 934-0855. shootingstargallery.net
27.The Arts Center @ 319 (The Isle of Wight Arts League). Changing exhibits by local and regional artists. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday; 1-5 p.m. Sunday. Free. 319 Main St., Smithfield. 357-7707. smithfieldarts.org
28. This Century Art Gallery. Changing exhibits by regional and national artists.
11 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Sunday. 219 N. Boundary St., Williamsburg. Free. 229-4949. this
29. Thomas Nelson Community College LRC Gallery. Regional artists. Call for hours. Free. Wythe Hall, 99 Thomas Nelson Drive, Hampton.
30. Visual Arts Center/Tidewater Community College. Exhibits by local, regional, national and international artists.
9 a.m.-8 p.m. daily. Free. Tidewater Community College, 340 High St., Portsmouth. 822-1888. www.tcc.edu/students/specialized/vac/
31. Williamsburg Library Gallery. Changing shows by local and regional artists. 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-
6 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, 1-5 p.m. Sunday. Closed major holidays. Free. 515 Scotland St., Williamsburg. 259-4040. wrl.org/programs/exhibits.html
32. Wise Memorial Gallery. 12-4:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday. Free. Hamm Fine Arts Building, 2401 Corprew Ave., Norfolk State University, Norfolk. 683-8844. nsu.edu/
wisegalleryCopyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times