The Historic Glebe House, 3700 Colonial Trail West, Surry, Va.
Catherine Correll Walls, Broker, Virginia Home and Land Company, Surry, 294-9100,
The Glebe House of Southwark Parish in Surry County, constructed just after 1721, is one of a small group of Colonial glebe houses in Virginia. Located on its original site this historic property includes 21 acres and a main house centered on a hill surrounded by rolling pastures. The grounds include an expansive lawn, stately sycamores, English boxwood, crape myrtles and several outbuildings.
The brick dwelling is a three-bay, story-and-a-half gambrel-roofed structure set on a low basement. The brick is laid in Flemish bond above and below the beveled water table. The house has a single-pile, central passage plan and an early triple-run stair. At 1,800 square feet, the interior has a formal parlor and dining room, four fireplaces, two partially finished basement rooms with interior and exterior entrances, two second-floor bedrooms plus two full and one half bath. Twentieth century upgrades include a modern kitchen open to a family room, central heat and modern baths. Many original interior features are intact including woodwork graining, wide-plank tongue-and-groove pine flooring and door hardware.
The property also includes a large two-story horse barn with stalls, a tack room and office, equipment shed and an original 18th-century smokehouse.
This rare 18th-century brick structure is associated with the Rev. John Cargill, a prominent figure among early 18th century Virginia clergy. Southwark Parish was set off from James City Parish in 1647, and until 1738, was one of two parishes which served the present Surry and Sussex County area. In 1721, land for a parish church or glebe at Indian Springs Plantation was left to the parish by Captain Francis Clements, who served as Clerk of Surry County from 1697-1708. Architectural evidence suggests that the Cargill's parish built him the present house on the glebe soon after.
The property was listed as a Virginia Landmark and also on the National Register of Historic houses in 1976. It is located on Colonial Trail West, approximately 5 miles north of the Town of Surry and 9 miles from the Jamestown/Scotland ferry on the historic James River.