Gene Vincent, the influential early rocker born in Norfolk, was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998. His band, The Blue Caps, were unfortunately overlooked by the Rock Hall -- until now.
Vincent's musical co-conspirators will be inducted into the hall during a ceremony in Cleveland on Saturday, April 14.
Over the years, the band featured guitarists Tommy Facenda, Johnny Meeks, Paul Peek, Willie Williams and Cliff Gallup, drummer Dickie Harrell and bassists Bobby Jones and Jack Neal.
Gallup, Neal and Peek are deceased. Of the surviving members, two live in Portsmouth: Facenda and Harrell.
The Blue Caps are being ushered into the hall as part of a gang of backing groups whose contributions have been previously underplayed. The Comets (Bill Haley), the Crickets (Buddy Holly), the Famous Flames (James Brown), the Midnighters (Hank Ballard) and the Miracles (Smokey Robinson).
Robinson will be on hand to do the honors for all the backing groups. The taped event will air on HBO May 5.
Here's a media release about Saturday's event.
ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME ANNOUNCES PERFORMERS AND ADDITIONAL PRESENTER FOR THE 2012 INDUCTION CEREMONY
CLEVELAND (April 12, 2012) – Today, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announces an additional presenter and some artists who will perform at the 2012 Inductions. The 27th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will take place on Saturday, April 14 in Cleveland and premiere on HBO on Saturday, May 5 (9-11:30 p.m. EST/PST). In addition, HBO Signature will present a 24-hour marathon of the HBO special, beginning at midnight that same day, and concluding Sunday, May 6 at midnight.
The following artists are the newest additions to this year’s show:
• Faces (Kenney Jones, Ian McLagan, Rod Stewart, Ronnie Wood) to perform
• Donovan to perform with John Mellencamp
• Red Hot Chili Peppers to perform
• Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill of ZZ Top along with Joe Bonamassa and Derek Trucks to perform for Freddie King
• Darlene Love to perform for Don Kirshner
• In addition, LL Cool J, along with Chuck D, to induct the Beastie Boys
The full list of currently announced performers, presenters and inductees with the newest announcements noted is below:
• Beastie Boys will be inducted by Chuck D (new addition: LL Cool J to present)
• Guns N’ Roses will be inducted by Green Day
• Donovan will be inducted by John Mellencamp (new addition: both to perform)
• Small Faces/The Faces will be inducted by Stevie Van Zandt (new addition: The Small Faces/Faces to perform)
• Red Hot Chili Peppers will be inducted by Chris Rock (new addition: Red Hot Chili Peppers to perform)
• Laura Nyro will be inducted by Bette Midler
• Freddie King will be inducted by Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill (new addition: Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill to perform)
• Don Kirshner will be inducted by Carole King (new addition: Darlene Love to perform)
• Cosimo Matassa, Tom Dowd, Glyn Johns will be inducted by Robbie Robertson
• The Blue Caps, the Comets, the Crickets, the Famous Flames, the Midnighters and the Miracles will be inducted by Smokey Robinson
More details about performances, additional presenters and special guests will be announced at a later date.
Leading up to the April 14th ceremony, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame hosts more than a week of special events, including the grand opening of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s new Library and Archives; tours of the newly-redesigned museum interior space; the unveiling of Grateful Dead: The Long, Strange Trip exhibition; a Rock My Soul gospel tribute honoring Kirk Franklin; a free concert for Cleveland featuring inductee George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic, plus Kid Cudi and Kids These Days; live performances from inductee Bootsy Collins as well as Girl Talk; and a special series of education programs designed to teach students across the nation about the history and impact of rock and roll.
For more information regarding the inductees and 27th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions, visit rockhall.com.
****************Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times