Once a bustling seaport, the town has a historic district of houses with architecture from the 18th and 19th centuries, as well as restaurants and shops.
One of those historic houses belonged to Capt. Mallory Todd, who in 1779 is credited as being the first person to have shipped hams from Smithfield. The house stands on Main Street east of Church Street.
Another historic home is Windsor Castle. Arthur Smith IV, who incorporated Smithfield in 1752 and made it a town, lived there on land overlooking the juncture of the Pagan River and Cypress Creek. The town's newest amenity is
The town in 2002 baked the world's largest ham biscuit to commemorate its 250th anniversary, landing it a spot in the Guinness Book of Records in March 2003.
Area: 10.1 square miles
Median age: 38
Median household income: $62,188
Landmarks: Old Courthouse of 1750,
Mayor: Dave Hare, 365-9505