On Tuesday, May 8, he's taking his message to the Simon Family JCC in Virginia Beach as part of the Jewish Family Service of Tidewater's "Week of Healthy Living." The promotional materials promise that he will reveal to listeners how they can become "slimmer, smarter, sexier and happier" through better sleep habits; in addition, he will give specific tips on how to get more and better sleep.
One side effect of sleep deprivation is weight gain. "The more sleep deprived you are, the lower your metabolism and the higher your levels of
In "The Sleep Doctor's Diet" (2011), he gives a simple five-step plan for achieving optimal sleep:
• Go to bed at the same time every night, including weekends. "It's the biggest mistake people make. They don't go to bed at the same time. It's a priority issue."
• Don't drink caffeine after 2 p.m. "It has a half-life between eight and 10 hours. People underestimate that it lasts as long as it does."
• Stop alcohol consumption three hours before lights out. "Though it makes you sleepy, it keeps you out of a deep sleep."
• Exercise daily, but stop approximately four hours before bed. "So, you're not too revved up."
• Get 15 minutes of sunlight every morning. "It helps re-set your circadian clock."
Breus endorses naps for anyone who's not an
Want to sleep better?
Who: Michael Breus, aka the Sleep Doctor, is the author of "Good Sleep" and "The Sleep Doctor's Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep"; http://www.thesleepdoctor.com.
What: Free lecture
When: 11 a.m. Tuesday, May 8
Where: Simon Family JCC, 5000 Corporate Woods Drive, Virginia Beach.