There will be no victory parade, no Sports Illustrated commemorative issue, and Melvin Moore won't be rewarded with a lifetime contract. But Menchville's 3-7 season, capped with a 9-3 shocker over Kecoughtan on Saturday, had some positive moments.
Not only did the Monarchs break a string of six consecutive 2-8 finishes, they won at least three games for the first time since 2002. That was also the last time they had beaten a team from Hampton.
Menchville's 35-0 win over Gloucester on Sept. 20 was the program's first shutout since the '03 season, a span of 90 games. And it was the first time the Monarchs had been on the good end of a running clock.
"A lot of firsts, and we're proud of that," Moore said. "We know 3-7 isn't great, but that's a credit to our league and how tough our opponents were.
"I took this job (in 2011) to improve the program and put it in the right direction. I think we've done that with baby steps. The program is better now than it was when I first got here, but there's still a lot of work to be done."
Menchville had lost five straight games going into Saturday's finale, and most were banking on a seventh straight 2-8 season. Instead, boosted by Troy Latta's blocked punt and 20-yard return for a touchdown, the Monarchs pulled off the upset.
"This goes to the spirit of the team," Moore said. "They refused to give up on the season. The seniors deserve to go out the way they did. We'll miss them in many ways. They're winners off the field for sure."
Gloucester back James Scott didn't get paid for his work Saturday afternoon. If he had, he'd have earned it.
Scott carried on 45 of the Dukes' 54 plays from scrimmage in a 24-7 loss to Warwick. On another four snaps, he attempted a pass.
Scott ended up rushing for 175 yards and became the fourth back in the Peninsula District to pass 1,000 for the season. He finished with 1,117.
"I like him," Raiders coach Juan Jackson said. "He's awfully good."
Toughing it out
Hampton coach Mike Smith said quarterback Deon Newsome is good to go Friday night after dislocating his kneecap in last week's loss to Phoebus.
Newsome limped off the field after being tackled for a 5-yard loss on the third play of the second half. Smith said the trainer was able to pop the kneecap back in place, and Newsome was back for the Crabbers' next offensive possession.
"He's all right now, but it had some effect on him," Smith said. "But he's tough, and he wanted to go back in."
Smith said Newsome will play in Friday night's game against Norcom at Todd Stadium.
For all Eastern Region playoff games, the food banks in Hampton Roads will have collection boxes inside the gate for non-perishable food items. So in addition to your ticket and jacket, bring a few cans of food along.Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times