Hampton rides a strong defensive effort in 14-3 win over Kecoughtan

Mike Smith

is in his 40th season at Hampton and has now coached 483 games. There aren't many nevers in a career that long, but Smith came up with one Friday night.


"I've never," he said, "had an ugly win."

True, the Crabbers' 14-3 victory over Kecoughtan at Darling Stadium might have pushed the envelope. Hampton scored only a pair of touchdowns, both coming in the second quarter. The Crabbers turned the ball over and gave up a blocked punt.


But the defense allowed only two first downs and 38 total yards. And that should be good enough to keep Hampton (8-1, 7-1 Peninsula District) at No. 2 in the Eastern Region Division 5 ratings.

"Our defense was great," Smith said. "They played great. Offensively, we had a different mindset and wanted to run the ball. But they got some big ol' boys up front. They were knocking us around like rubber balls."

With 290-pound lineman Shawn Fauntleroy back after a two-game suspension for a flagrant personal foul, the Warriors (4-5, 4-4) were even bigger up front. They held tailback Kavon Bellamy to 82 yards, 50 of which came on Hampton's final drive of the night. Quarterback

David Watford

ran for 98 yards, 50 of which came on a second-quarter touchdown.

Had Kecoughtan any production from its offense, it might have been an interesting finish. Instead, even after Fauntleroy's blocked punt set up the offense at the Crabber 16-yard line, all the Warriors could get was a Kyle Lawrence field goal.

Hampton's defense was so dominant that Kecoughtan took 21 snaps until finally picking up a first down with 2:03 left in the third quarter.

"Everyone was holding everyone else accountable," said Bellamy, also a linebacker. "The offense was slacking off, so the defense had to pick up the slack. The defense, we don't like to be scored on. Last week (a 37-12 loss to Phoebus), we gave up too many points."


Hampton looked sharp on its first possession of the night by moving the chains three times and reaching the Kecoughtan 20-yard line. But the Crabbers went backwards and punted.

Watford's 50-yard touchdown run came on the first play of the second quarter, and Bellamy added a 5-yard touchdown with 3:04 left in the half. But that would be it.

"They're one of the biggest teams we've faced," Bellamy said. "And we have one of the smallest lines. We wanted to go hard all night, but it just wasn't happening."

"They played really well against us," Smith added.

Kecoughtan came into the game tied with Cox for the eighth and final spot in the Eastern's Division 6 ratings. But the with the Falcons' 21-14 upset win over Ocean Lakes Friday night, the Warriors now look all but done. Cox (5-4) closes against First Colonial (3-6) next week.

"We talked about tonight being a turning point, a game we could look to turn the corner," Kecoughtan coach Scott Woodlief said. "I think tonight, we're halfway around the corner. We can see through the peep hole now."




Second quarter

Ham—Watford 50 run (Hutcheson kick), 11:50.

Ham—Bellamy 5 run (Hutcheson kick), 3:04.

Third quarter

Kec—Lawrence FG 25, 7:36.


First downs;2;16


Passing yards;42;69