Hampton uses strong defense to defeat Warwick, 33-0

Nine minutes in Friday night, Warwick had run 14 plays from scrimmage to Hampton's three. Which you'd figure to be a pretty good sign for the Raiders.

Except that the Crabbers scored on two of their plays. And the Raiders, to that point, had given up an interception and a blocked punt.

Hampton jumped out to a quick two-touchdown lead and went on to an easy, if uneven, 33-0 win at Todd Stadium. The Crabbers (5-0, 4-0 Peninsula District) had only 217 total yards, 180 below their league-leading average, but the game was never in doubt.

"It was good to get off to a start like that," said running back/linebacker Kavon Bellamy, who rushed for 97 yards and added a 97-yard interception return for a touchdown. "But we got sloppy after that. We got complacent."

It would have been hard to find any rhythm in the early minutes. After an interception by Dezmond Jenerette, Bellamy went 59 untouched yards for a touchdown on the Crabbers' first snap.

Tyrell Miller then blocked a punt, setting up Hampton at the Warwick 21-yard line. Two plays later, Dallas Cogdell scored from 15 yards, putting the Crabbers ahead 14-0 with 6:54 left.

But from there, the offense was inconsistent. Hampton went four straight possessions without scoring, its only points coming on Bellamy's interception return with 33 seconds left in the first half.

At halftime, the Raiders (1-3, 1-2) had nearly a 2-to-1 advantage in time of possession and one more first down. But thanks to three interceptions and a blocked punt, they trailed 20-0.

Bellamy's third touchdown gave Hampton a 26-0 lead with 6:01 left in the third quarter. It followed a fumble recovery by Bellamy at the Warwick 25. The Crabbers' first three scoring drives covered 105 yards, and each was set up by a turnover.

Hampton closed the night with its most sustained drive — 11 plays, 50 yards, 4:45 off the clock. Backup TyQuan MacCutcheon capped it with a 3-yard run.

After Bellamy's first-play touchdown, Hampton rushed for 95 yards on 27 attempts.

"I think the problem for our offense was probably the same thing as it was for our defense last week," said Hampton coach Mike Smith, whose team gave up 231 passing yards against Denbigh. "We got up 21-0 and the defense took a nap. Tonight, we went up 14-0 and our offense went into a coma."

Smith had no problems with his defense. The Crabbers allowed 100 total yards, only 13 on the ground. Warwick quarterback Joshua Butler, making his first start in place of Donell Staton, went 8-of-16 for 87 yards but was intercepted three times.

"I thought our linebackers were especially good, inside and outside," Smith said. "

The win came almost a year to the day that Warwick upset Hampton 24-21 for its first win in the series since 1965. Though Smith didn't talk about it much this week, his players remembered.

"That was a lot of motivation," Bellamy said. "We didn't want Coach to see the same kind of attitude in us that he did last year."


Hampton;14;6;6;7 – 0

Warwick;0;0;0;0 – 0

First quarter

Ham—Bellamy 59 run (kick blocked)

Ham—Cogdell 15 run (Watford pass to West)

Second quarter

Ham—Bellamy 93 interception return (kick failed)

Third quarter

Ham—Bellamy 4 run (kick failed)

Fourth quarter

Ham—MacCutcheon 3 run (Hutcheson kick)


First downs;10;8


Passing yards;63;87