Do you buy Halloween candy in the hopes of getting all of the leftovers, or do you have the interests of the neighborhood kids in mind? Either way, our crack research panel at the Daily Top 10 has come up with a list of candies that will get eaten ... quickly.
1. Snickers -- A candy bar with substance. These peanut-filled chocolate bars are filling enough that kids may only be able to eat a few of them. Then again, you shouldn't underestimate the appetite of Halloween-crazed kids.
2. Nerds -- Basically, they are pure sugar coated with sugar. Nerds can be both fun and annoying due to the obnoxious rattling sound made by shaking the box. The best are the standard strawberry flavor.
3. Tootsie Rolls -- These have been around for over 120 years and coming in various flavors, shapes, and sizes. Giving out the smaller sizes makes a candy bowl last longer, but the Tootsie Pops are the tastiest, especially the chocolate flavor.
4. Life Savers -- A good way to keep kids occupied. It takes a while to go through a whole pack of Life Savers. Also, a good trick is to give out the mint varieties. The mint flavors do not necessarily clean teeth, but they have less sugar and will keep the kids hygiene-conscious.
5. M&Ms -- It wouldn't be Halloween without M&Ms. They are ingrained in our cultural psyche. If sugar and chocolate were medicine, they would come in the form of M&M's. Also, it can be funny to see how picky kids are about the color of the candy coating.
6. Reese's -- Come in standard-size and miniature peanut butter cups, as well as Reese's Pieces. With all of that peanut butter, enough Reese's cups could make a meal. Just don't tell that to your kids.
7. Twizzlers -- Probably the sweetest store-bought version of licorice. Twizzlers have a fun shape, and they don't get your hands messy.
8. Butterfinger -- Sinfully sweet. The flaky "peanut buttery" filling is so sugary that it sticks to teeth and fills the gaps between them. Butterfinger is most likely not the healthiest choice for dental hygiene. But what candy is?
9. Skittles -- Skittles are always very popular. Just watch out for the kids that try to see how many they can eat at one time. That can be scary.
10. Candy corn -- Somehow candy corn always seems to make the list. Young or old, not many people admit to liking this stuff. Still, you can be sure to see plenty of it this Halloween.
Matt Cahill's Daily Top 10 comes out every weekday. Coming Tuesday: Top 10 classic books.
Today's Headlines Newsletter
A digest of essential news, insight and analysis from L.A. Times editors.