The spirit of the holidays permeates Historic Yorktown Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 10-11, at the Yorktown Holiday Open House.
Shops along Main and Ballard Streets and Riverwalk Landing will be open on this special weekend to allow visitors to leisurely peruse items for sale, according to a York County press release.
Select stores will be holding giveaways, offering special discounts, tempting visitors with delicious appetizers, and hosting artist demonstrations. Enjoy festive decorations and strolling entertainment throughout this special Open House weekend. Santa Claus will pay a visit, so make your list, check it twice, and bring it to Yorktown Nov. 10 and 11.
In addition to the participating businesses listed below, some special events will also be featured this Holiday Open House weekend. Yorktown Market Days will take place with extended hours on Saturday, Nov. 10, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., featuring local produce, fresh meat and seafood, baked goods, potted plants, coffee, quality art, and live musical entertainment provided by Runaway String Band. Don’t miss the chef’s demonstration provided by Elite Cuisine at 9:30 and 11 a.m.
Following Market Days, visit the Watermen’s Museum for the 6th Annual Chili Cook-OffCompetition from noon to 3 p.m. For only $5, sample each competitor’s chili recipes and cast your vote for the one you like the most. Monday, Nov. 12 concludes the weekend with the annual Veteran’s Day Ceremony at York Hall at 12 p.m.
Saturday: Runaway String Band – Yorktown Market Days (9 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
Saturday-Sunday: Strolling Santa and Mrs. Claus (12 to 3 p.m.)
Sunday: Louis Vangieri, Acoustical guitar & storytelling – Ben & Jerry’s (1 to 4 p.m.)
Holiday Open House Participating Businesses (hours of operation vary by business)
Ben and Jerry’s/Green Mountain Coffee
- Register to win an 8" cake & other gift items (winner chosen Sun at 5 p.m.)
- Free samples of ice cream and specialty coffee
- Light Sweets & Treats
- Free drawing for Sterling Silver Yorktown Bracelet
- Customer Appreciation Event – 25 percent savings on entire store (not to be combined with any other sales, discounts, or promotions)
Grace Episcopal Church
- Saturday-Sunday: Open 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Gallery at York Hall
- Saturday-Sunday: Featuring a series of cookbooks by author Patricia Mitchell – “Colonial Food, Lore & More” and holiday refreshments.
- Saturday-Sunday: In-store specials
- Local artist Susan Thornton available to personalize hand-painted ornaments (specific times will be posted outside the shoppe)
Hornsby House Inn
- Saturday-Sunday: Open House Weekend (12 to 4 p.m.) and light refreshments
- Fee-free weekend in all National Parks, Nov 10-12 (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Saturday: Lamb’s Artillery and British Royal Artillery Demonstrations (11:45 a.m., 12:45 p.m., 1:45 p.m., and 2:45 p.m.)
- Sunday: Historians John Quarstein and Michael Moore present a program at 2 p.m. “Yorktown’s Civil War Siege” followed by a book signing
Black Dog Gallery
- Holiday refreshments
- Seashell trees & wreaths, original photo frames & unique gift ideas
Patriot Tours & Provisions
- Friday-Sunday: “Bring 3 & the 4th is free” special pricing on Segway & Ghost tours
- Free drawing for Yorktown sweatshirt
- Light refreshments
Nancy Thomas Gallery
- “An Open House of Surprises!” – Sat: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. (extended hours); Sun: 12 to 5 p.m.
- New pieces and gifts
- Guest artists, Vivian Driskill (fine handmade jewelry), Mark Peyton (mixed-media) and Diane Husson (ceramics)
- Saturday: Seasonal Wine Tasting from 4 to 7 p.m.
River Fruit Tropical Wines
- In-store specials all day on wines
- Sample cranberry & blueberry sparking wines, mulled cranberry wine & and delicious items made from wine such as blackberry wine cake
- Saturday-Sunday: Free hot cider, receive a coupon for free dessert with paid lunch or dinner
- Saturday-Sunday: Wine tasting in the lobby from 5 to 7 p.m.
Yorktown Victory Center - 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., daily
- Continental Army Encampment Artillery: 11:05 am & 3:05 p.m.; 18th-Century Medicine: all Day
- 1780s Farm: Textile Demonstration: 11:35 a.m.; Open-Hearth Cooking: All Day
- Museum Store featuring American-made toys, gifts and holiday items
- Free admission for York County, James City County and City of Williamsburg residents
Marl Inn B&B
- Special thanks to veterans for their service to our country and in particular the Yorktown Coast Guard Training Center 53 years of service.
- Holiday section by Jamestown Glass House
- Sweet treats
- Free drawing for a basket of spa products
- 20-70 percent off sale
- Cookies and light refreshments
Southern Estates, Books & Antiques
- Serving sparkling wine to wish everyone a happy holiday (1 per customer)
Visitors may park in any public parking area throughout Historic Yorktown. Handicapped parking is located on the lower level of the Riverwalk Landing parking terrace, York Hall, and in limited quantities at all other public parking areas. The free Yorktown trolley will run on Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.).
General info: www.visityorktown.org
Posted by Kathy Van Mullekom; firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times