[This post has been updated.]
The Bolshoi Ballet in Russia has called off its new production of Igor Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring," citing the recent acid attack on the company's artistic director, Sergei Filin.
The production, which was to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Russian composer's work, had been scheduled to debut in late March in Moscow and would have been broadcast to cinemas around the world.
Organizers at the Bolshoi said in a statement Thursday that the production will be postponed until "the artistic director of the ballet returns back to the theatre."
Filin suffered serious facial injuries and eye damage earlier this month when an assailant threw acid in his face as the Bolshoi director was entering his home. Filin has since stated that the assault was likely an inside job.
His recovery is expected to take several months.
The company's new production of "Rite" was to have been choreographed by Wayne McGregor, the artistic director of the British company Wayne McGregor Random Dance. The Bolshoi's website states that the new "Rite" would have had its world premiere starting March 28.
A U.S. broadcast of the production was scheduled for April 21 in close to 300 cinemas nationwide. Emerging Pictures, the American distributor, said that another program will be substituted in that slot. The company broadcasts ballet productions from some of the leading dance groups in the world.
A cinematic broadcast of the Bolshoi's production of "La Bayadere" is still on the schedule for Feb. 17 and 19.
Los Angeles will see the Joffrey Ballet's production of "The Rite of Spring" this weekend at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion.
[Updated: A previous version of this post misidentified the Bolshoi's next cinematic broadcast as "Les Troyens." It is in fact "La Bayadere."]
ALSO:Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times