Striking San Francisco Symphony musicians have reached a tentative agreement with the orchestra's management that would end their 18-day walkout.
The orchestra said in a news release Sunday that the agreement is for a new 26-month contract. If ratified, it would pave the way for the orchestra to resume performances as early as Tuesday.
The strike began earlier this month when musicians and management failed to reach an agreement on a new contract. Musicians reportedly were upset over terms of the proposed deal in light of the orchestra's strong finances.
The strike forced the orchestra to cancel an East Coast tour that was to include performances in New York, New Jersey and Washington. The strike also caused the cancellation of concerts at Davies Symphony Hall, the orchestra's main performance venue.
The orchestra said it wouldn't provide any additional details of the agreement until it is ratified "in the next several days."
Earlier this month, the orchestra said musicians had rejected a number of proposals, including one that offered increases in compensation to achieve a new annual minimum salary of $145,979 with annual increases of 1% and 2%.
Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times