"Ted," an R-rated raunchfest from "Family Guy" creator
There has never before been a weekend in which two R-rated films grossed more than $21 million apiece, but "Ted" and "Magic Mike" managed the feat. Each film capitalized on a different audience: "Ted" appealed to men, as 56% of its crowd was male. And "Magic Mike," which also features beefcakey stars such as
"Ted," which stars
Dan Fellman, the studio's president of domestic distribution, said the film played like its 2008 film
Perry's "Madea's Witness Protection" is the seventh film from the prolific director-writer-actor to star his cross-dressing feisty grandmother character. The movie marked the fourth-highest debut ever for Perry, and came in slightly above the $25.1-million debut of his previous Madea film, last year's
"Witness Protection" is the first of Perry's films starring Madea to feature more ethnically diverse cast, including white actors such as
Although "People Like Us" got off to a disappointing start, it didn't cost
The film stars Pine as a man whose father dies and leaves him with $150,000 to give to a long-lost sister, played by Elizabeth Banks. The directorial debut from
The movie, which received a B+ CinemaScore, did especially well in the heartland, selling 152% more tickets than usual in Salt Lake City. Dave Hollis, Disney's executive vice president of distribution, said he was hopeful that adult moviegoers would discover the film in the coming weeks.
"This movie appeals to an audience that doesn't always rush out to see a movie on its first night," Hollis said. "This was always meant to be a counterprogramming choice for a more discerning adult audience, and for them to have an intelligent option seemed important."
In limited release, Fox Searchlight's
[Updated, 12:05 p.m. July 1:
Here are the top 10 movies at the domestic box office, with international results when available, according to studio estimates and Rentrak:
1. "Ted" (Universal/Relativity/MRC): Opened with $54.1 million. $2.8 million overseas in one foreign market.
2. "Magic Mike" (Warner Bros.): Opened with $39.2 million.
4. "Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection" (Lionsgate): Opened with $26.4 million.
8. "Moonrise Kingdom" (Focus Features): $4.9 million on its sixth weekend, up 44%. Domestic total: $18.4 million.
9. "Snow White and the Huntsman" (Universal): $4.4 million on its fifth weekend, down 46%. Domestic total: $145.6 million. $14.5 million overseas in 60 foreign markets. International total: $189 million.
10. "People Like Us" (Disney/DreamWorks): Opened with $4.3 million.]