Michael De Luca enters three-year first-look deal with Universal

It's official: Michael De Luca is at Universal now with a first-look deal

Movie producer Michael De Luca has officially entered a first-look deal with Universal Pictures, said studio chair Donna Langley on Friday. 

Earlier this month, De Luca confirmed that he was leaving his position at Sony's Columbia Pictures for a producing role at Universal. He produced the February box-office hit "Fifty Shades of Grey," which Universal released, and will make the next two films in the steamy trilogy at the studio. 

He has cited the "Fifty Shades" movies as one of the motives for his departure. 

Langley, in a statement, touted her long friendship with De Luca and his credentials as a respected Hollywood producer. 

"Mike is one of the most talented producers in Hollywood today," said Langley. "Mike has been an incredible friend and mentor to me for many years and I’m thrilled to have him on the lot with us.” 

De Luca was considered a candidate to replace Amy Pascal as co-chairman after the crippling cyberattack on Sony Pictures in late November. Instead, Sony Pictures tapped former 20th Century Fox Co-Chairman Tom Rothman for the job. 

De Luca was named head of production for Columbia Pictures in December 2013. He previously also held senior production positions at DreamWorks and New Line.

Follow Ryan Faughnder on Twitter for more entertainment business coverage: @rfaughnder

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times
66°