Arts & EntertainmentMinistry of Gossip

Celine Dion cancels tour, Vegas shows to care for hubby Rene Angelil

Las VegasCeline Dion
Celine Dion has cleared her schedule to focus on husband Rene Angelil's health and her own
Celine Dion's off the marquee in Las Vegas as she focuses on husband's cancer fight

Celine Dion is taking herself out of show biz entirely for the foreseeable future in order to "focus 100% of her attention" on ailing husband Rene Angelil, her family and her own recent vocal problems.

The singer's regular Las Vegas shows have been canceled for the foreseeable future and a planned fall tour of Asia has been nixed, publicist Kim Jakwerth said Wednesday.

"I want to devote every ounce of my strength and energy to my husband's healing, and to do so, it's important for me to dedicate this time to him and to our children," Dion said in the statement.

Angelil underwent surgery for throat cancer in December and, according to Jakwerth, it's been "a very difficult and stressful time" since then as the couple has dealt with his health battle while raising three sons. In March, the surgery was confirmed and it was revealed that he'd taken a break from his work schedule to focus on his health.

Also, an illness causing throat inflammation has troubled the singer recently, leading to the cancellation of nine Caesars Palace shows starting with the Aug. 30 Colosseum performance and ending with a show that had been set for Wednesday.

The couple are parents to Rene-Charles, 13, and twins Eddy and Nelson, both 3.

"I ... want to apologize to all my fans everywhere, for inconveniencing them, and I thank them so much for their love and support," Dion said in the statement.

Follow Christie D'Zurilla on Twitter @theCDZ and Google+. Follow the Ministry of Gossip on Twitter @LATcelebs.

 

Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times
Comments
Loading