Sexual assault complaint filed against film exec Harvey Weinstein

Sex assault complaint filed against film producer Harvey Weinstein in New York

A sexual assault complaint has been filed against film executive Harvey Weinstein, a New York City Police Department spokesman said Monday.

The spokesman said that the allegation was being investigated and that Weinstein had been questioned. Manhattan Dist. Atty. Cyrus Vance Jr. had no immediate comment.

A Weinstein Co. spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Weinstein's PR company, Sunshine Sachs, later sent out a statement: “We are cooperating fully with the authorities, and are confident that we will be fully vindicated," it read. "We will have no further comment.”

The New York Daily News, which first reported the complaint, said the alleged victim was a 22-year-old Italian-born model. The paper said that the woman, whose name was not given, alleged that Weinstein had groped her at the Tribeca Film Center on Friday after she had attended a meeting with him there. The Tribeca Film Center is a downtown Manhattan building where the film company has offices and conducts meetings and screenings.

Weinstein is married to fashion mogul Georgina Chapman, with whom he has two children. He cofounded indie-film company Miramax with his brother Bob in 1979, and for the last 10 years has run the Weinstein Co., which has garnered an Oscar best picture nomination or win  seven years running.

Twitter: @ZeitchikLAT




Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times


8:21 a.m. March 31: This post was updated with a statement from Weinstein's spokesman.

This story was originally posted at 12:35 p.m. March 30.