That day was yesterday, when I went to the Hollywood area of the theme park and took stock. There are 59 people honored in the walkway that runs from near the Terminator 2: 3-D area , past Schwab's Pharmacy and back to Mel's Drive-In and the Horror Make-Up Show. (That number includes three Universal execs and one cartoon character.)
I could've sworn Michael J. Fox had a star there. Not yesterday, at least. I was surprised by Telly Savalas' presence.
If Universal wanted to add some stars, there are 52 blank stars installed.
OK, here's a mini-quiz. Answers -- and a complete lineup of who's there, in order of appearance (it's vaguely almost alphabetical) -- will appear after the jump.
1. Who are the youngest living man and woman on a Universal star?
2. What two performers lived to be 100 years old? Who are the oldest living ones today?
3. Who died at the youngest age?
1. The young folk are Ron Howard (56) and Cybill Shepherd (60).
2. Bob Hope and George Burns hit the century mark. Kirk Douglas, Ernest Borgnine and Zsa Zsa Gabor are all currently 93, but Douglas is the eldest.
3. Michael Landon and John Ritter were both 54 when they passed away, but Ritter was just one week away from his 55th birthday.
The lineup, starting on the Brown Derby hat store side (deceased in BOLD face):
Julie Andrews, Lauren Bacall, Lucille Ball, Anne Bancroft, Ernest Borgnine, Carol Burnett, George Burns, Gene Kelly, Olivia Newton-John, Kirk Douglas, Linda Evans, John Forsythe, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Lorne Greene, Andy Griffith, Larry Hagman, Bette Davis, Angie Dickinson, Audrey Hepburn, Charlton Heston, Bob Hope, Ron Howard and Jack Klugman.
Working way back down the street on the other side:
James Stewart, Sylvester Stallone 63, Robert Stack, Barbara Stanwyck, Cybill Shepherd, William Shatner, Tom Selleck, Telly Savalas, Jane Russell, Mickey Rooney, Cliff Robertson, John Ritter, Debbie Reynolds, Burt Reynolds, Anthony Quinn, Vincent Price, Gregory Peck, Robert Mitchum, Bette Midler, Dean Martin, Ann-Margret, Bob Gault*, Karl Malden, Lee Majors 71, Shirley MacLaine, Fred MacMurray, Jerry Lewis, Jack Lemmon, Robert L. Ward *, Janet Leigh, Tom Williams *, Walter Lantz, Woody Woodpecker, Michael Landon, Burt Lancaster and Dorothy Lamour.
* Indicates stars with Universal logos.
Next time: a survey of the handprints at Disney's Hollywood Studios.