The SAG Awards red carpet wasn’t exactly a blockbuster for fashion, but there were a few bright spots. Here are five:
1. Reese Witherspoon’s ponytail. Her simple, sleek, one-shouldered white Giorgio Armani gown called out for an equally modern hairstyle. And the ponytail, with a strand of her own blond hair wrapped around it, was the perfect choice.
2. Jennifer Aniston’s bravado. The “Cake” star chose a vintage gown by John Galliano because she fell in love with it, she told E! It’s been a while since we’ve seen a high-profile star wear vintage on a major red carpet, which was a big trend in the late 1990s and early 2000s. It was great to see her taking a risk, and a risk on Galliano too. The disgraced designer, who lost his job at Dior after being caught making racist comments via a camera phone, recently restarted his career at Margiela. And Aniston proved that when it comes to fashion, she is her own woman.
3. Keira Knightley’s pregnancy chic. Pregnant or not, Knightley was one of the best dressed of the night in a plum-colored gown by fellow Brit Erdem Moraliglu. The color, the unusual-looking lace tiers, worked beautifully.
4. Marc Jacobs’ anything-but-standard-issue gown. One of the coolest dresses of the night was Claire Danes’ army-green Jacobs gown, a riff on his spring 2015 collection, which riffed on army uniforms in a million ways. It’s been a long time since Jacobs has had a red carpet moment at a major awards show, and it was a great to see him there in spirit.
5. Raf Simons’ sheer genius. Emma Stone was another best-dressed, wearing a Dior design that was one part tuxedo dress, one part sheer maxi skirt and altogether daring and different. Another score for Dior designer Simons.