1 leek split in half
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
Juice of 2 lemons
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Season the lamb shoulder, rubbing it all over with salt and Espelette pepper. In an oven-proof Dutch oven or brazier, heat the oil over high heat and sear the lamb on all sides until there is a browned crust. Remove from heat.
2. Add the rosemary, thyme, carrot, leek, onions and garlic. Cover the lamb and vegetables with boiling water and then cover the dish with foil.
3. Braise in the oven for 3 hours, or until the meat falls apart.
4. Once cooked, strain the braising liquid into a saucepan and reduce over medium-high heat until syrupy. Set aside.
5. Pull the lamb apart and dress with the reduced lamb braise and lemon juice. Adjust the seasoning with salt and Espelette pepper.