1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 3 tablespoons butter, melted
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together 2½ cups flour and the baking powder.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the creamed corn, ricotta cheese, eggs, vegetable oil, one-half cup plus 1 tablespoon cornmeal, one-half cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, the salt and corn kernels. Stir in the flour mixture a little at a time until incorporated.
4. Spoon the mixture into a 10½-inch seasoned cast iron skillet or similar-sized greased baking pan.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining two-thirds cup each flour, cornmeal and sugar. Stir in the melted butter until combined to form a crumbly mixture. Drizzle the crumble topping over the corn bread base.
6. Bake the corn bread until puffed and lightly browned on top and a cake tester or knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 45 minutes.
Each of 12 servings of corn bread: 456 calories; 8 grams protein; 61 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 20 grams fat; 9 grams saturated fat; 96 mg cholesterol; 22 grams sugar; 369 mg sodium.