Each serving: 334 calories; 6 grams protein; 30 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams fiber; 23 grams fat; 10 grams saturated fat; 8 mg. cholesterol; 1,063 mg. sodium.
Total time: 90 minutes
Servings: 12 or more
Note: Desserts were a very competitive recipe category this year -- in fact, some Food section staffers advocated a 10-best list made up entirely of desserts. This hands-down favorite from Regina Schrambling is a dream for lemon lovers.
3 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 2/3 cups sugar, divided
4 eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
Grated zest of 5 large lemons, divided
1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1. Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 10-inch tube pan. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl and stir to blend. Set aside.
2. Cream the butter with an electric mixer. Add 1 cup of the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
3. Beat in one-fourth cup lemon juice and the zest of 3 lemons. Stir in the flour mixture and sour cream alternately, mixing with a rubber spatula until completely blended. Scrape into the prepared pan.
4. Bake 60 to 70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the thickest part comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then turn the cake out onto a serving plate.
5. Combine the remaining lemon juice and the remaining two-thirds cup sugar in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the remaining lemon zest.