Note: Adapted from a recipe by chef Gino Angelini at Angelini Osteria.
4 medium red beets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
6 tablespoons best quality olive oil
3 cups baby salad greens
12 ounces burrata
4 teaspoons chopped chives
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Wrap the beets in aluminum foil and bake them for one hour. Unwrap them, cool slightly and peel. Slice the beets thin on a mandoline. Place them in a medium bowl and set aside.
2. To make the dressing, pour the blood orange juice into a small bowl, add the salt and pepper and whisk. Slowly whisk in the olive oil in a stream.
3. Dress the beets with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the dressing; toss gently to combine.
4. In a large bowl, toss the baby greens with 1 to 2 tablespoons of dressing.
5. Divide the beets into four portions. Make several small piles of beets on each of four plates. Top each pile of beets with one-fourth of the salad greens. Divide the burrata into 4 portions, cutting it in half or quarters as necessary. Place one portion atop each salad.
Each serving: 485 calories; 18 grams protein; 16 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams fiber; 39 grams fat; 15 grams saturated fat; 67 mg. cholesterol; 200 mg. sodium.