July 22, 2009
Total time: 20 minutes
Note: Adapted from "Hungry Girl: 200 Under 200: 200 Recipes Under 200 Calories" by Lisa Lillien. Lillien writes, "We're kicking unwanted calories and carbs to the curb here by serving up our cheesesteak in lettuce cups instead of on a giant doughy roll. Who's smart? WE ARE!" Hungry Girl Tip: Freezing the beef slightly will make it easier to cut.
3 ounces raw lean beefsteak fillet
1/3 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup thinly sliced onions
1 slice fat-free American cheese
2 leaves romaine, butter or green leaf lettuce
1. Slice the fillet crosswise into thin strips about one-eighth inch thick. Set aside.
2. Spray a medium pan with nonstick spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat to a small bowl and set aside.
3. Re-spritz the pan with nonstick spray. Cook the fillet strips over medium-high heat until browned on each side, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on each side.
4. Break the cheese slice into small strips, place on top of the meat -- still in the pan -- and continue to cook until the cheese has melted slightly, less than 1 minute.
5. Remove from heat and mix the cheesy beef strips in with the mushrooms and onions. Serve in the lettuce "cups."
Each serving: 174 calories; 24 grams protein; 7 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 5 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 40 mg. cholesterol; 307 mg. sodium.
Copyright © 2013, Los Angeles Times