1 large artichoke
4 small spring onions
1 tablespoon fleur de sel, divided
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
8 quail eggs
1 teaspoon vinegar
4 tomatoes, very ripe
8 medium (4- to 5-inch) focaccia rolls
1 garlic clove
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup black olive tapenade
12ounces Italian tuna in olive oil, gently broken into pieces
8 small anchovy fillets cured in olive oil
8 baby romaine lettuce leaves (4 to 5 inches long)
1. Clean the fennel and slice it as thinly as possible (use a mandoline if you have one). Trim the artichoke down to the heart; slice it like the fennel. Slice the radishes and the white part of the green onions very thin.
2. In a small bowl combine the sliced fennel and artichoke, sprinkle some fleur de sel (about one-half teaspoon) and a touch of black pepper over them and add a tablespoon of lemon juice. Combine well and reserve. In another small bowl, combine the sliced radishes and onions, sprinkle with one-half teaspoon fleur de sel, a touch of pepper and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Reserve.
3. Hard-boil the quail eggs, starting with cold water and a teaspoon of vinegar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes. Stop the cooking with running cold water. Peel, cut them in half and reserve.
4. Slice the tomatoes one-fourth inch thick. Reserve.
5. To assemble, slice the rolls in half horizontally. Rub both sliced sides with the garlic clove and brush with the olive oil. Spread the tapenade evenly on the tops of the rolls.
7. On the bottoms of the rolls, start with a layer of tomato slices, dividing evenly among the rolls. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 teaspoons fleur de sel. Working in tight layers on each bottom, add the fennel-artichoke mix, the tuna, the quail egg, the radish-onion mixture and one filet of anchovy. Finish with a leaf of baby romaine.
8. Cover the sandwiches with the reserved top halves. Roll the sandwiches very tightly in plastic wrap, then wrap tightly in foil.
9. Store overnight in the refrigerator. Cut in half and serve.
Each sandwich: 485 calories; 22 grams protein; 48 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams fiber; 22 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 93 mg. cholesterol; 1,777 mg. sodium.