2/3 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup melted, cooled butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur, such as Grand Marnier or Triple Sec
1/4 teaspoon orange zest
2 cups chopped pecans
Whipped cream, optional
1. Lightly beat eggs. Whisk in brown sugar, corn syrup, salt, butter, vanilla, orange liqueur and zest to make filling.
2. Remove crust from freezer. Line bottom with chopped pecans and pour filling over nuts. Lift pie and gently tap on counter top to release air bubbles. If necessary, smooth out bubbles with spatula.
3. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325 degrees and cook until center of pie doesn't jiggle when moved, about 40 minutes. Cool before serving. Serve with whipped cream.
Each serving: 480 calories, 448 mg sodium, 153 mg cholesterol, 29 grams fat, 51 grams carbohydrates, 6 grams protein, 0.33 grams fiber.
Variation: Chocolate Pecan Pie
1. Melt 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips in double boiler. Make sure that water does not touch upper bowl. Alternatively, melt chocolate in microwave intermittently 2 to 4 minutes on 50% power; time will vary according to microwave used. Let chocolate cool briefly.
2. Follow Pecan Pie Filling directions above, mixing chocolate with eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, salt, butter and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (instead of 1 teaspoon), and omitting zest and liqueur.
3. Line pastry shell with pecans and fill as above.
Each serving: 362 calories, 447 mg sodium, 153 mg cholesterol, 18 grams fat, 47 grams carbohydrates, 5 grams protein, 0.05 grams fiber.